This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cathedral and Bazaar broken expectations

People who remember me from Xandros know that I reviewed this book and actually GAVE AWAY copies to people who asked for them...by MAIL...oh horrors!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ca...and_the_Bazaar

GAWD what a load of UNFULFILLED DRIVEL...

I WAS SUCH A FANBOI...I gave talks at the local library and GAVE AWAY COPIES!!!...

quotes from Wikipedia with woodsmoke's commentary...think of what is going on NOW...

Lessons for creating good open source software

Raymond points to 19 "lessons" learned from various software development efforts, each describing attributes associated with good practice in open source software development:[3]

Every good work of software starts by scratching a developer's personal itch.

...YEP...Raymond had an itch and BECAUSE OF HIS STATUS he got a LOT of people to be fanbois and do his work for him.

Good programmers know what to write. Great ones know what to rewrite (and reuse).

...Apparently not nowadays...evidence the Weather Widget that the developer walked away from because his "itch" went in another direction.

Plan to throw one [version] away; you will, anyhow. (Copied from Frederick Brooks' The Mythical Man-Month)

...Again...evidence is the Weather Widget..

If you have the right attitude, interesting problems will find you.

...Yep...doesn't mean that because EVERYBODY IN LINUX thinks it is interesting that you will take time away from your Cheetos (tm) and spiked (brand of lemon juice product).

When you lose interest in a program, your last duty to it is to hand it off to a competent successor.

...Apparently the Weather Widget person had other things on his mind...

Treating your users as co-developers is your least-hassle route to rapid code improvement and effective debugging.

...repeat above

Release early. Release often. And listen to your customers.

...I guess often went out the window with the ice in the Antarctica...

Given a large enough beta-tester and co-developer base, almost every problem will be characterized quickly and the fix obvious to someone.

...Ummmm guess not on that one also...

...SEE also... TBIRD works and...ummm Kmail does not...

Smart data structures and dumb code works a lot better than the other way around.

...Apparently the U.S. Government, the COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES...do not agree...so why IS it...that a bunch of smart Linux coders don't produce alternate software...

If you treat your beta-testers as if they're your most valuable resource, they will respond by becoming your most valuable resource.

...I agree...

The next best thing to having good ideas is recognizing good ideas from your users. Sometimes the latter is better.

...HOW MANY TIMES HAVE PEOPLE WHO WERE NOT OF THE UBUNTU HERD BEEN IGNORED...

Often, the most striking and innovative solutions come from realizing that your concept of the problem was wrong.

...Do not know about this one...a weather widget is a weather widget...

...I have ON MY PHONE... the history of 6 weather widgets...and the developers seem to be...supporting them...

...oh sorry, this is not a phone thing this is an OUT MODED COMPUTER DESKTOP THING...BORING >>BORING...exqueezeme...

Perfection (in design) is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but rather when there is nothing more to take away. (Attributed to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

...I agree

Any tool should be useful in the expected way, but a truly great tool lends itself to uses you never expected.

...Well a weather widget is a weather widget...oh...maybe that is why the dev walked away from it...not DRAMATIC...no roaring crowds at the next developer conference...

When writing gateway software of any kind, take pains to disturb the data stream as little as possible—and never throw away information unless the recipient forces you to!

...ONLY RAYMOND HAS THE CHUTZPA to get people to think that he is ONLY working on..."gateway" things...

When your language is nowhere near Turing-complete, syntactic sugar can be your friend.

...Does ANYBODY KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS? AND YES I KNOW WHAT THE TURING TEST IS...give me a BREAK!!

A security system is only as secure as its secret. Beware of pseudo-secrets.

...THIS MAN NEEDS TO DOWNLOAD KALI AND ACTUALLY GET INVOLVED as opposed to pontificating...there was a saying in country...lotsa people talk the talk but walking the walk probably ends up at the burn cans.

To solve an interesting problem, start by finding a problem that is interesting to you.

...WELL YEAH...I mean HOW #$%^ING CAPTAIN OBVIOUS CAN YOU BE!!

Provided the development coordinator has a communications medium at least as good as the Internet, and knows how to lead without coercion, many heads are inevitably better than one.

...GAWD talk about an EXCUSE for not getting something done...blame it on...the media. OH SORRY...that is what TRUMP is doing!! :0
    I fully expect that somebody from PCLINUXOS who is a member here will contact the developer and he will contact the admins and suddenly this thread will be ...deleted...

because ...>Linux...protects Linux<

UMmmm how many LINUX people have ...said that "cops protecting cops" is..just WRONG!! lol

especially the Linux elites

wood...

what a...long... history of wasted time...

what is that song..?

woodhasstudentswhoWANTtouseLinux...smoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 23, 2017, 09:31 PM.

Na, Woody, you know KFN doesn't work that way. No one is going to delete your posts. But, there is no guarantee that anyone will read them either.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi GG

wellll...that says something...that the elites have just shrugged off any commentary ...

Because they certainly DID NOT when alternate thought showed up at Ubuntu forums (read elite's favourite forum) and the flame wars scorched ANY kind of thought was not part of the GROUP THINK...

woodhasstudentswhowanttouseLinuxsmoke

Comment

Modern collegiate institutions are not the citadels of free thought and open to the discussion of all ideas? Who would have thought? /sarcasm.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yep...now...it is all about...

PAYING A..."consultant" to TWEET TWEET TWEET kind of like a cheerleader jumping up and spreading her...

ARMS out with streamers...

GOTCHA!!

But. really, I get probably ten tweets PER HOUR from all of the colleges within a TWEET / GOOGLE determined driving range...

I finally just had to block them...

woodsadsmoke

Comment

Working...
          X