This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buffalo WZR-600DHP wireless router

My Linksys E2500 wireless router got zapped by lightening. To replace it I ordered the "Buffalo High Performance High Power N600 Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Router". That's a mouthful, so the model number works better WZR-600DHP.

I had burned the DD-WRT into my Linksys E2500 because a couple of months after I bought it a popup occured which stated that a security update was important and should be installed. But, before I approved its installtion I HAD to sign up for a Cisco Cloud account! I canceled the installation and did some DDG'ing and found out that Cisco and several other mfgrs were forced by the gov (NSA, CIA ?) to install a back door in the router. Cisco, not letting the opportunity pass, decided to require the cloud account signup. I decided not and sought out a Tomato or DD-WRT solution. DD-WRT was a much better firmware than that which Cisco put on their router AND it gave me control over features that Cisco didn't give access to through their HTML pages.

In researching which router to buy I noticed that several are beginning to offer firmware built using Linux. Buffalo offered DD-WRT preinstalled! That was too good an offer to pass up. Today the Buffalo arrived.

I unpacked it, connected it up, plugged in an ETH cable to my Eth0 port and turned it on. The ETH0 wired connection connected immediately, of course. And so did the wireless! Of course, there was no security, but Joe and Sally Sixpack would consider it a job done and be satisfied with the instant connection. The gateway is 192.168.11.1 and the name and password are "admin" and "password".

Being familiar with DD-WRT navigating the firmware via the web connection was painless. I set up one band with an SSID of "GreyGeek", setting it to 2.4GHz, and a second band as GreyGeek5, setting it to 5GHz. I enabled the firewall and made some adjustments to it and used my MAC address to force it to dispense 192.168.11.100 to my wired connection during boot up. That allows me to use that IP address for my IPv6 Hurricane tunnel, instead of the IP address the cable modem dispenses.

With the E2500 our iPhones could only connect with the 2.4GHz wireless band, regardless of any settings I made in the Cisco to offer only the %GHz band. With the Buffalo my iPhone6 connected immediately to the 5Ghz band. With the 2.4GHz Linksys my top DL speed was 30Mbps, with most readings averaging around 10Mbps. With the Buffalo 5GHz my iPhone DL's at 77Mbps with 6.3Mbps up. That's the top speed offered by my Spectrum service.

I'm really pleased with the Buffalo. Now, the only thing left to test is its durability.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Hi
    thanks for the review!

since I'm just a hardware kinda guy I pay attention to things like how long something runs...

As of this particular date Linksys has seemed to last longest but... I'm thinking maybe another year on mine so I'll keep this in mind.

woodjustahardwarekindaguysmoke

Comment

I'd still be running the Linksys if Lightening hadn't changed my mind. My coming fiber optic connection plan will be for 100Mbps and wired Ethernet will handle that easily.

With the Buffalo my wireless chip, which struggled to get the maximum 54Mbps out of g class, easily gave me almost 300Mbps on n class. I've never had that kind of performance out of the AR9462 wifi chip on this laptop.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I liked my old netgear router with DD-WRT, although I'm actually using a couple Lumas & an 8-port switch right now

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
          I liked my old netgear router with DD-WRT, although I'm actually using a couple Lumas & an 8-port switch right now

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
          I was actually looking for a DD-WRT compatible Netgear router so I could install DD-WRT on it like I did on the E2500. It was while searching Amazon that I saw the Buffalo with DD-WRT preinstalled. It saved me an extra step. The browser pages on the Buffalo look different from the stock DD-WRT install in color but the menu layout is nearly the same. On the DD-WRT firmware I downloaded and installed I had the option to set the power level of the transmitter. Since the FCC required that router mfgrs not give users that option I noticed that the power level option is missing on the Buffalo pre-installed DD-WRT.
          No matter though. In checking the range of the 5GHz band transmission with my iPhone the signal drops off significantly beyond 50 feet, which is what I want, so it must be preset at around 70 mv.

Comment

Working...
          X