This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incindeary post at KDE forums

I just made an incendiary post at KDE forums because I was EMBARRASED when a student contacted me about "my operating system" because a friend of his has a lappy with Ubuntu, mainly for STEAM and games...

he wanted to know about "doing office stuff" and "e-mail"...

And I had to reply... "stay with Windows and do e-mail through the college".

WoodsoontobebannedatKDEforumssmoke

and why was that ?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

So now we have to ignore you over there as well?

Comment

https://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/Kontact/Office365

Comment

So now we have to ignore you over there as well?

Please Read Me

Comment

Well, thanks for the various replies but I will be moving on from the KDE suite(s).

And, nobody cannot say that I have not given it the old college try.

But, enough is enough.

The FLAGSHIP app for KDE WAS Koffice, which is gone, and now the only thing left is Kontact.

The lack of a vehement reply at KDE forums telling me to go to he@@ or a one side one sheet reply explaining JUST WHY Kmail cannot interact with MS Office 360 mail WHEN THUNDERBIRD WILL ..."says it all".

Kontact is not ready for prime time.

This is not some music app that one guy is doing in his basement to hook into xmms it is THE sin qua non of what an "Operating System" is supposed to be all about.

Even Koffice couldn't make it and is now forked into Calligra which is a valid system which STATES CLEARLY that it is not designed specifically to be compatible with MSoffice, but curiously, it pretty well nearly is.

Many of the other "next big deal" apps for KDE started off with great fan fare and then lurched along and then just died...

It is now apparent why "governments" or whatever which adopted it dropped it.

My having to go "back and forth" between Thunderbird for e-mail and the Kontact suite for all the stuff which isn't all that important is a colossal waste of time. And, it will COST ME INCOME...

There is a perfectly good stand alone journaling app if I wanted to fiddle with setting up mySQL with it but, guess what... it doesn't work half the time either.

Google calendar seves as a todo app which actually follows me wherever i go instead of "sitting on the computer".

And right here, in another thread there is a big discussion about WHAT HAS BEEN COMPLAINED ABOUT FOR YEARS...that "you can't find anything" in the OS.

I mean...just HOW HARD is it to "change the pretty face" and put a link under a button.

Since I was involved in such I know just how easy it can be, in most cases, and how TEDIOUS it can be in other cases, but... it can be done.

So, I need to just move on because it is now rubber meets the road time in terms of interacting "with the outside world" and increasing my income after the DEMICANS trashed all of the part time instructors nation wide.

There is a television advertising which I am positive most of the people in Linux Land have never seen because they are too smart to get down there in the mud with people who...yeech "watch the boob tuibe"...I mean how tawdry.

But it goes something like this: "The most common cause of injuries is falling down stairs so...just don't fall!" an advertising for Stairclimber. The african american lady, btw is a mid level star on continuing television series like Monk.

So... it is now at the situation of if apps won't LET me make money...then just like the Stair climber .."just don't use it".

woodsmoke
            Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 19, 2017, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Well, choice is a nice thing about Linux.

DEMICANS... sums it up, doesn't it?
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Woodsmoke; Sorry to hear about your need to move from KDE. I was forced to do this too. NOT because KDE was bad, but that it simply no longer works on my older 32 bit system.

Obviously I'm not gone, because I find this forum to be very enjoyable to read (and it's not limited to KDE posts).

For everyone else, no, Neon is not an option (32 bit not supported). I went with Linux Mint xfce because it works on my system. I also have a LM KDE install on another hard drive, but it too has DE formating problems. It runs better than Kubuntu KDE, but still not suitable for day-to-day usage. I keep it for testing, hoping that the KDE devs will fix something... waiting.

Don't be a stranger, ok? You still hold the Chair Of The Screaming Ellipsis. Lifetime appointment.
                Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Wow. Will all the KDE haters please stand up?

I like how my Kubuntu is setup. It isn't, in use, 100% KDE, though I'm quite sure there are underpinnings of the unused and removed components that are still running. Don't care. KOffice and it's successors have long since been irrelevant. Kontact is immaterial. I don't allow indexing. However, Amarok has once again proven some worth, after not being in use and at times uninstallable after version 1.4.3; and speaking of that, Clementine is still a very worthwhile competitor.

I'm very happy with Thunderbird and Lightning, and LibreOffice is truly great. Firefox is still my go-to browser, although I have installed Vivaldi just in case Firefox 57 proves unusable; and I say "unusable" rather than "a difficult learning curve". Firefox syncs very nicely with my tablet and my phone, so it would be really sad to lose that.

What I like most is making Linux work for me, even though that does involve some initial effort on my part. I used to be a part of the KDE forum, but there's so much in the way of bad vibes coming from the long timers and even some who are supposed to be devs. Anytime someone, like me, points out an issue the reply has always been along the lines of "you just don't understand our perfection", or even "you're too stupid to see how to setup xxx-application". So I was too stupid to set up Amarok when every fix they pointed out failed - and was shown to fail. Forget about Kontact - a lot of very vehement responses. So I get my good info here on Kubuntu.

I've thought about moving on to Mint Cinnamon and even have a DVD for 18.2, but I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet. I cruise their forum from time to time, and it's good over there, also.

In my opinion, if someone believes that Kubuntu, or KDE fails to provide what is needed for their computing environment - just move on. Bring your Linux experience to Ubuntu, to Xubuntu, to Mint, to Windows. Just find what works for you. I've been to old Red Hat 5.2, various Mandrake/Mandriva, various shades of BSD, and probably a few others. Kubuntu has been a good stop along the way, but if it fails to satisfy, there are always others. It's better to have a good day than to let something ruin it for you.
                  The next brick house on the left
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

jglen490;

I'm far from "hating" KDE, but just saddened that the devs are moving in a different direction. I cannot blame them for their choices, since the market is a moving target, at best.

At some point in the future, I will move to a 64 bit platform (probably when the 128 bit systems appear ) and I'll evaluate KDE at that time, again.

Yeah, I'm preaching to the choir, you've been here longer than I have.

Linux is a very forgiving OS and I shudder when I consider the other alternatives... Been there, done that, not going back.
                    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

jglen490, IF there has been two things that have been constant on this forum they are:
                      1) It really doesn't matter what distro you use, or even if you use Windows. All questions are valid here because all of us, despite our dislike of Microsoft, have or needed to use Windows as some point. After all, Win7 wasn't all that bad, except for its vulnerability. And, all of us have used or are using a distro other than Kubuntu or one that runs KDE as the DE.

2) From flaming liberals like WTF to flaming conservatives like me, all views are respected, if not agreed with. Ad homenims and name calling isn't allowed on this site. That's why I got a chuckle out of your "KDE 'haters'" comment. Disliking something is not the same as hating it, especially in the political sense that is so popular in the political arena.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                        DEMICANS... sums it up, doesn't it?
                        Republicat

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post

2) From flaming liberals like WTF to flaming conservatives like me, all views are respected, if not agreed with.
                        you can throw me in their with WTF ,,,,,,although I think "flaming" my be a bit strong ,,,,

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Lol! ...

Comment

'KDE haters' was intended to be somewhat tongue in cheek. I love the KDE user environment, but I dislike (being nice) a lot of the related stock KDE applications. I evicted the KDE PIM some time ago, and won't even think about "pure" KDE office products. But, that aside, the most wonderful thing about Linux is choice and being able to mix and (mis)match whatever shows up in the Linux universe. So, yes, it could be said that I am a KDE "hater" but only in the sense of what works best is not always what KDE (the community) presents. It also explains why I decided to leave the KDE forum - to live in it's own level of madness.

I consider myself somewhat liberal in most of my thought and action, but certainly not "pure". A lot of people don't like that - both liberal and conservative - but that's their loss, not mine. And some ideas - either liberal or conservative - just bring out the worst in me, and that's my loss not theirs. So life goes, and after 7 decades of living it's moving faster. Sigh ...
                            The next brick house on the left
                            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Vinny, I think it's actually"Republicant", lol.

JGlen - +1 same here on both counts. KDE lover but some of the apps totally are not worth the trouble. Politically I label myself independent - meaning I prefer to make my own decisions not follow some dogma spewed out by demagogues. As far as I can tell, the Executive Branch is almost all demagogues these days. I can count those that are not, IMO, on one one hand.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X