X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always loved BBC humor

And in the spirit of Monty Python (sort of) here is:
    https://vimeo.com/124392955
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I say! Jolly good, old chap!

Comment

That's not a BBC thing, that's a spoof of a BBC series that finished 30 years ago. I doubt the BBC wouldn't rip into global warming theory as it's heavily supportive of it.

This is the original:

Comment

Nothing like an obnoxious laugh track to ruin a good skit.
        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
          I taught almost 20 years. Ten years teaching science & math in HS and about the same amount of time teaching Physics, Calc, DE, and a ton of other courses (I have 5 certificates) at a near by private college.

My favorite statement on the value of education is from a cartoon. It showed a flying saucer that has landed in a nuked city. One alien was holding up a newspaper with the headline "someathlete paid 2 million!". It gave a name, which I no longer remember, and at the time 2 million for a season was considered high. The balloon over the alien stated "If they paid their athletes this much just think how much they paid their teachers!" At the same time a popular song, I believe it was by Pink Floyd, was "Another brick in the wall", referring to teachers. The main chorus was "we don't need no education".

At that time (1980's) about 90% of the HS kids said they were going to college. Just 15 years later that figure reversed itself.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 17, 2017, 03:03 PM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

When experts and education are not listened to or appreciated, but any fool can do their "research" on Google, you end up where we are now with children dying from diseases that were or nearly were eradicated, chemtrail, conspiracies, politicians ignoring science and scientists, and my favorite, flat-earthers. It boggles the mind.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Mind boggling indeed, including when scientists manipulate data to push a political agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                Mind boggling indeed, including when scientists manipulate data to push a political agenda.
                While I agree that some research has clearly been pushed one way or the other and that people are often to quick to blame things on climate change, a vast amount of non-biased research shows climate change is in fact happening.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                  While I agree that some research has clearly been pushed one way or the other and that people are often to quick to blame things on climate change, a vast amount of non-biased research shows climate change is in fact happening.
                  Here in Peru the glaciers have been receding for years, and places I visited (Pastorouri) many years ago have lost most of their snow and ice. I think the evidence is pretty strong by now, but the question is, what is causing global warming? Is it something natural, or are humans really capable of tilting the balance to a runaway greenhouse effect? There have been warm periods before, such as in Chaucer's time, which was followed by a Little Ice Age. While it is pretty obvious that all this burning of fossil fuels for our oversized cars is not a good thing, I'm not sure if this is enough to cause a worldwide change in climate. If so, the current policies will not be enough to stop it from getting worse. If not, there's not a whole lot we can do about it.

Comment

Ok I'll bite. "I'm not sure if this is enough to cause a worldwide change in climate." Carbon dioxide concentration from 280 ppm to 400, and climbing, despite the oceans absorbing lots? It's called the greenhouse effect, ever been in one?

Regards, John Little
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                    X