This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New user from Zoolooland

After yesterday, I really just wanted to send a push for Kubuntu!

Back in the 1980's... my workplace platform was exclusively Microsoft that eventually included Novell servers and over time, MS NT. As a MCSE however I was curious about this Linux thing I kept hearing about and so I cut my teeth back in '96 when I purchased a Caldera CD--that more importantly came with a cool T-shirt. It wasn't long before there were three of us actively using SuSE that is, until the advent of Warty Warthog! By then we were comfortable with dropping our Windows home PCs in favour of Ubuntu. Besides as South Africans, Mark S was our hero! Then Christmas 2008, a Linux Mint Cassandra CD was bundled with a local IT mag. That pretty much redefined my Linux journey especially during that Gnome 3 transition and I used Mint--and Xfce--exclusively until a few weeks ago...

I was trying to find a CD ripper that would produce a single flac file with a cue sheet.
    While I was almost content with a command line solution... it just seemed kinda old-school and rather laborious. Amongst the many Google offered solutions was K3b that I reluctantly installed. Going on in my mind..."what is this KDE thing?" But when K3b did the job way better than any of the other methods... I just had to find my own answer.

I can't say why KDE was never a consideration back in the day but--obviously--I had never used it and had only seen it via the occasional screenshot. So a KDE Neon went into a VMware session but after a few days I was more than convinced... I dropped my localhost Mint Xfce for a Kubuntu Zesty installation.

Yesterday was the one month anniversary!
    I am blown away by this KDE experience. Yes.. this version seems a little buggy and yes, it peeves me that some seemingly cool features just don't work out the box and that essential libraries aren't installed by default but hey... I can't foresee a turning back. KDE is an awesome desktop environment!

Nice testimonial. And, Welcome to KFN!!
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Welcome to the family!
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I've been using KDE since Alpha 1.0 in September of 1998, and its never gotten old!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks guys!
          In the meantime I've gone through a Budgie Remix, Gnome and LXDE but I keep coming back to Kubuntu
          There are pros and cons with each distro I try out but Kubuntu's pros outweigh its' cons and seem to outweigh the pros of other distros
          I look forward to seeing the default broken stuff of 17.04--like online accounts with Google--eventually working as it does on other environments

Comment

Welcome, abury!

I came from Windows (XP), had fun trying all sorts of Linux distros, until in about 2006-2007 I switched 100% to Kubuntu, loved it, and still love it. Btw, fwiw, I am using just the LTS 14.04, and haven't upgraded as it does everything I need: The flexibility of Linux, and particularly the versions of Kubuntu.

Again, welcome, and make yourself at home.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Welcome! Former South African resident here.

Actually I don't visit KFN that much now as Kubuntu just works and like qqmike I'm sticking with 14.04.
              I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Working...
              X