This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dellrefurbished - again...

48% off any item excl. Clearance, plus free ground shipping- Coupon: DELL48DEAL
    Expires Sunday, April 30th at 9:00 AM CST

http://dellrefurbished.com

Hopefully someone can take advantage of this - you won't find a better deal.

Precision laptops make outstanding Linux machines and most come with a Windows license that'd be really handy if someone wanted a VM

This is almost identical to the machine I got as an early Christmas present for about $150 less than I paid for mine

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/comp...800-50973.html

protip: replace the spindle with an SSD before first boot and use the Windows license for something else

cheers -
    Last edited by wizard10000; Apr 28, 2017, 02:06 PM.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
    48% off any item excl. Clearance, plus free ground shipping- Coupon: DELL48DEAL
    Expires Sunday, April 30th at 9:00 AM CST ...
    protip: replace the spindle with an SSD before first boot and use the Windows license for something else

cheers -
    Perfect. Exactly what I'll do. Ordered!

Comment

Originally posted by wartnose View Post
      Perfect. Exactly what I'll do. Ordered!
      Excellent - let us know how it turns out. What did you get?

If the new toy makes you happy creating an account at dellrefurbished is pretty cool. I get maybe one spam from them a week and three or four times a year they offer really outstanding deals.

Enjoy!

edit: protip v2.0 - when they have these sales things move pretty fast. If you see something you like stick it in a shopping cart while you continue to shop. Dell will hold your shopping cart for 24 hours and keep someone else from buying your selection before you decide
      Last edited by wizard10000; Apr 29, 2017, 06:32 AM.
      -- anais nin

Comment

Got the E7240 i5 8gb. Needed something small for conferences. Ordered a cheap msata SSD.

Comment

Originally posted by wartnose View Post
          Got the E7240 i5 8gb. Needed something small for conferences. Ordered a cheap msata SSD.
          Coolness. I have a pair of Precision laptops, both quad-core i7 machines - one first generation i7 that served me well for three years and is now in a server role running network backups and serving up DLNA content. The other is a fourth-generation i7 and is better suited as a desktop replacement at least for me. The things are built like a tank but are a bit heavy.
          -- anais nin

Comment

Today I received a Precision M4800. x64, i7 -4800MQ, 2.7GHz, 8GBRam, 1920x1080, 160GB HDD, Windows 7 Pro.

My parents who are in their mid 80s and live two states away, decided they want to get online. I was steering them towards a Chromebook when Wizzard10000 made this post. If I was closer I'd put Linux on it but since I can't travel, I'm just going to set up Windows the best I can for them as most of their help will be a couple older folks who are not familiar with LInux. It was listed as Grade B, cosmetically but it looks great, nary a scratch. Working webcam, DVD RW, Really nice, I would love to keep it and play around with it. Thanks so much Wizzardi10000.
            If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Mine is up and running with Kubuntu 16.04. Thanks wizard10000!

Comment

You guys are more than welcome. Glad I could share the love a little bit
                -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                  Today I received a Precision M4800. x64, i7 -4800MQ, 2.7GHz, 8GBRam, 1920x1080, 160GB HDD, Windows 7 Pro.
                  I have exactly the same machine and am very happy with it. Do sign up for their mailing list; they do these sales three or four times a year

If you get one for yourself sometime these things really shine with an SSD.
                  Last edited by wizard10000; May 05, 2017, 11:03 AM.
                  -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
                    I have exactly the same machine and am very happy with it. Do sign up for their mailing list; they do these sales three or four times a year

If you get one for yourself sometime these things really shine with an SSD.
                    One thing I did find out, my ASUS Q500A sitting on the same table next to the refurbished Dell, on the same wifi network, was getting about half the connection speed as the Dell. The Dell is running Windows 7, and my ASUS is still dual booting Win 7 and KDE Neon, so I booted into Windows and no change. My ASUS is getting 40ish MB/s and the Dell about 80ish MB/s. I almost hate to send it to my parents.
                    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

A decade ago a relative of mine showed me his new 18" Gateway m675 laptop. A year later I bought the "same" laptop. The word same is in quotes because his laptop could do things on Linux that my laptop could not, even though we had the same make and model number. What wasn't the same was that his firmware had "ver 1.0" on it and mine had "ver 1.1a" printed on the PROMs. The firmware changes made all the difference in the world as far as abilities and behavior was concerned. Within 5 years my display was throwing vertical lines and exhibiting other malfunctions.

Two years ago he game me his Gateway m675, made in 2004, mine in 2005, so I could put Kubuntu on it and donate it to someone in need. (Internet access is indispensable in America and has been for the last decade). Kubuntu 14.04 ran it beautifully and his display and all hardware functioned flawlessly. Gateway had cheapened up their manufacturing process on the m765 during the year following its release. Subsequent versions of the same model, after the first release, are often the victims of cheapening so as to improve profits. The current mantra is that the life span of a computer is 3 years. Most are made to last only about that long these days because people seem to replace them that often.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

OT, but I also had an M675 work laptop back in the day - I liked it but learned that I don't like hustling big laptops through airports; it was a fine desktop replacement, though.

Then the man who is currently the governor of the state where I live ran Gateway's business unit into the ground and I was left with > 3,000 machines whose warranty suddenly expired. We ended up cannibalizing machines for a couple years since warranties were no longer honored.

Let's just say I'm not a fan of our governor

One day I'll tell the story of how Gateway infected a reference image before deploying it during a rather large computer purchase. The image I sent them for factory installation was clean and approved for install by Gateway; the resulting PCs were infected.

There were a whole buncha Gateway people running all over the country fixing these machines two days later
                        Last edited by wizard10000; May 07, 2017, 06:01 AM.
                        -- anais nin

Comment

Yup, beautiful screen, great sound, but carrying it was like carrying a mini-tower!
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                          X