X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why I haven't been around much

Hi all.
    It is good to see that the regulars are still here. Friendly faces all.

I have been basically "home bound" because of the pandemic. Yes, according to what one sees on the net and news from the powers that be from either side .... is that this or that is going on and either the world is coming to an end or everything is hunkydory.

However, the hard reality is that there really are students that are exposed to the virus by people at a party, or family etc. We have not actually had a transmission in the student body but we have had many students being quarantined.

All faculty have been vaccinated, and that incudes adjuncts and, basically, if we want a job then we had better get vaccinated or your class load is reduced everybody has also had the second shot.

So I have been zooming a lot but the college has gone completely to MS products and last summer we went to MS Teams. I DO NOT like it but ok....

Any way, no scuba diving and basically no travelling spend a lot of time at a local pool swimming and walking and working on my novel , the "hello Ubuntu goodby windows" that I started 8 years ago, it has turned into a full blown novel that is a "dystopian future" twit what has a massive twist to it. Ive already published a lot of technical stuff and etc in biology but this is going to be my first foray into a novel.

Im running Kubuntu on my work computer and Neon on my large screen t.v.

I have purchased a lot of DVDs and have downloaded a lot of audio books and have regular viewing schedule.

My boy is still and astronomer and working remotely exclusively at home, he had a colleague actually die of the virus , other boy is still comptuer programming and my daughter is still living in the hills with her big bear of a husband and she is a supervisor at a manufacturing plant.

But, since i have never been anything more than a hardware kind of guy I just haven't been around much...

Physically, i'm still fit as a horse but have had cataract surgery and have perfect vision but, since I am now...... 77!! I also have a small separtion of the retina and am doing the prevervision and the drops.

Other than that it is good to see the bunch is still here!!!

woody

Good to hear from you Woody, stay well.
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

HI Woody! Long time no see, er.. hear er.. read!

77 eh? Youngin !! I'm 80!

My wife is 78. Earlier this year she lost the last bit of vision she had in her left eye, due to a stroke she had during her first open heart surgery in 2007. Or so the docs say. Loss of 3D vision is traumatic. With no depth to her field of vision she reaches for a light cord to turn off a light and misses it by 3 or 4 inches. She can't drive any more. But, she's making do.

We've stayed in our apartment since the pandemic began because June can't afford to catch covid. With her pulmonary hypertension it would be a death sentence to get it. I do everything digitally now. Chicken is now up to $10.99/lb for the good stuff, $4.99 for a box of 4 drum sticks. Gas is up to $3.59 in some places. My ISP just added $3/mo to my bill because Lincoln, added yet another tax. A "conduit service" tax. Allophone is fiber optic and they laid their own plastic tubing to hold the fiber. Lincoln had nothing to do with it. But, Allo did give all gov agencies in Lincoln free 1GB connectivity two years ago. Nice way to replay a kindness.

Target just delivered our groceries ($5.66 delivery fee - not bad). See ya...
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
        Good to hear from you Woody, stay well.
        Hi and good to hear from you also!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          HI Woody! Long time no see, er.. hear er.. read!

77 eh? Youngin !! I'm 80!

Hi I can relate the thing about part of the vision, and hope that she is able to stablze.

As to the CHICKEN..... not that bad here because we are in the middle of chicken country!

Comment

Working...
          X