This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ROSA Image Writer

Anyone use this utility? Like it? Hate it? Don't really care?

http://wiki.rosalab.ru/en/index.php?...n_I_take_it.3F
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

As the 'official' recommended way to burn Neon to a USB drive, I use it exclusively. How it's not an 'official' KDE Application at this point, I have no idea. Certainly works better than USB Disk Creator.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Having mostly stuck to dd, I have recently started using Etcher: https://etcher.io

Please Read Me

Comment

ROSA Image Writer

What's really neat about Etcher is that it is installed as an AppImage. About 12 years ago a Dolphin plugin was released which allowed you to klick on a file that had a *.klik extension. The file was a complete app with dependencies and all, self-contained. To delete it you merely deleted the file. The AppImage is by the same developer but is much improved. It works on most (any?) Linux distribution. It is no longer a plugin for Dolphin. Versions of it also install on Android, Windows and Mac.
        Cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

imagewriter in kdereview

https://marc.info/?l=kde-core-devel&...7492118566&w=2
          List: kde-core-devel
          Subject: imagewriter in kdereview

Please review imagewriter which I've just had moved to kdereview.

It's a simple tool to write ISO images to a USB key. It should be
          cross platform and work on Linux, mac, windows.

It's based on ROSA Image Writer and the ROSA maintainer has agreed to
          maintain it in KDE. Compared to ROSA I've switched to i18n and used
          kauth and made the ROSA branding optional.

Scarlett has started making an AppImage for it although I don't know
          if it'll work with KAuth
          https://github.com/appimage-packages...riter/issues/1
          KDE git: https://cgit.kde.org/imagewriter.git/

Phabricator: https://phabricator.kde.org/R247:3a6...49ae3c906c3b87
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

That's actually great news, as ROSA IW works like a champ! Does this ultimately mean it aims to replace usb-creator-kde?
            K*Digest Blog
            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
              That's actually great news, as ROSA IW works like a champ! Does this ultimately mean it aims to replace usb-creator-kde?
              It is up to Ubuntu developers - usb-creator-kde is made by the Ubuntu.

man file of the usb-creator-kde is telling: "Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator For KDE".
              Last edited by Rog131; Apr 08, 2017, 01:37 PM.
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131 View Post
                man file of the usb-creator-kde is telling: "Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator For KDE".
                It's been a few releases, but usb-creator-kde never worked well for me, so a move to ROSA would be very welcome.
                K*Digest Blog
                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with simply using dd--it's a one-liner. Maybe the newness and fun of using various apps? dd has not yet failed for me. (It did have an episode of issues writing a bootable GParted stick some time ago; but that was determined to be kind of a flaw in gparted, and they fixed it.)
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

dd is quick and easy ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but I like mkusb or it's newer part guidus ,,,,,,,,it will make you a persistent(you can add programs/files to the live session and their still their on reboot) live USB ,,,,,, with a windows readable storage area as well.

or just a clone to disk ,,,,,,or a windows 7-10 boot stick

from the man page

dus-live: Cloning is the standard method and is very reliable, works for all hybrid iso files.

dus-persistent: can also create persistent live drives with a casper-rw partition for persistence. This is developed and tested for Debian Jessie and the current Ubuntu versions and flavours, and will probably not work for other linux distros. These drives can be booted in both UEFI and BIOS mode.

dus can create Windows install drives for Windows versions 7-10. These drives can be booted in both UEFI and BIOS mode.

dus-wipe: can wipe a drive (overwrite with zeros).

dus-restore: can restore a boot drive to a standard drive for storage with a FAT32 file system.
                    hears screen shot of a Neon live USB with persistence made with mkusb ,,running ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

you can see in the df output 13GIB on / becaus of the persistence ,,,,,,the disk layout in the parted window and VLC playing some file off the HD of the computer the USB is running on ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

VINNY
                    Last edited by vinnywright; Apr 08, 2017, 08:47 PM.
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Vinny ... yeah, you got a point about accommodating persistence or customizing space on the image flash drive. dd would not be the best for that.
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hi all

With Rosa Image Writer, is there any way to add persistent storage to a Live USB? usb-creator and unetbootin support this, but I couldn't find a way with Rosa IW.
                        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                          Hi all

With Rosa Image Writer, is there any way to add persistent storage to a Live USB? usb-creator and unetbootin support this, but I couldn't find a way with Rosa IW.
                          not that I am aware of ,, and I think the newer ver of usb-creator-kde at least in 16.04 quit having the option for persistence ,,,,,,,thats why I started using mkusb

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                            mkusb
                            Oh good, another tool to try!
                            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Working...
                            X