This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
    Have you checked for installable hardware drivers? System Settings > Driver Manager
    yes, no different drivers to install. It's not a big problem. on 20.04 use touchpad-indicator and that worked fine. But it's not available for 22.04 yet. Will wait and see.
    Don't know why they removed the function that used to be in the the older kde releases but I suppose the had their reasons.
    Thanks for your help.
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by kc1di View Post
      Don't know why they removed the function that used to be in the the older kde releases but I suppose the had their reasons.
      They moved it, perhaps. It's now at system settings, input devices, touchpad, Enable/Disable Touchpad. I see this even on this desktop which doesn't have a touchpad, but greyed out.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
        but greyed out.
        On my laptop this is also true; the options in that tab are all greyed out. But my touchpad disables when the mouse is plugged in and enables when the mouse is unplugged.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well haven't got the system settings to disable touchpad when mouse is plugged in but did manage to find a way to install touchpad-indicator and it's working.
          So far I like 22.04.
          Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

KDE plasma 5.24 is due for release this month on the 8 Feb, see

https://www.debugpoint.com/2022/01/kde-plasma-5-24/.

As I have added the staging plasma repository
            Code:
            sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-plasma,
            I have been dealing with it since last week.

One problem that I struck was that the login desktop option was a Virtual Keyboard which was the Plasma X11 desktop. I eventually found that by adding the package
            Code:
            plasma-workspace-wayland
            I got the options to select either the X11 or the Wayland desktop. The login options are now listed as:
            Code:
            Virtual Keyboard Desktop Session: Plasma (X11)
            Virtual Keyboard Desktop Session: Plasma (Wayland)
            I am not sure that the solution I found is the correct one to use as it still mentions the Virtual Keyboard in the name. If someone knows a better solution, please let me know.

I have found that the Wayland desktop is somewhat variable in speed between logins. For example, glmark2-wayland gives say 4600 when Wayland is responsive or say 1200 when it is slow. I certainly hope this variability is resolved by the 8th February.
            Last edited by NoWorries; Feb 06, 2022, 12:55 PM. Reason: Got the first for Plasma wrong. Should be 5.24, NOT 4.24

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
              KDE plasma 4.24
              I think you have that wrong; the version number. Plasma - 25th Anniversary Edition (5.23) has been out since October 14, 2021.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                I think you have that wrong; the version number. Plasma - 25th Anniversary Edition (5.23) has been out since October 14, 2021.
                I assume they mean 5.24, which is out this coming Tuesday.

On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                  I assume they mean 5.24, which is out this coming Tuesday.
                  Thanks very much for the polite correction of the error that I made. I am looking forward to the updated KDE Plasma Version 5.24 on Wednesday morning Australia Time.

One problem that I had was
                  I have found that the Wayland desktop is somewhat variable in speed between logins. For example, glmark2-wayland gives say 4600 when Wayland is responsive or say 1200 when it is slow. I certainly hope this variability is resolved by the 8th February.
                  I am very pleased to report that this problem no longer exists and Wayland is now consistently super fast for me!

I certainly greatly appreciate the quick response by all developers in solving problems It does look like the Virtual Keyboard option is here to stay, so I will ignore this option.

Comment

5.24.0 landed in Jammy
                    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                      5.24.0 landed in Jammy
                      Really enjoying it! Great job Devs!

Comment

Looking forward to 22.04 LTS - probably at 22.04.1
                        The next brick house on the left
                        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                          Looking forward to 22.04 LTS - probably at 22.04.1
                          Do you think that there will be a standard way to migrate to 22.04.1 LTS from 21.10 once the point release is out maybe this summer? I had to move from 20.04.3 LTS to 21.10 due to my latest hardware not supported at the time.

Comment

I would think it would be a logical thing to do, but there have been glitches in the past couple of LTS releases that made updating from a prior release difficult. I can only speak of LTS releases, in recent years, as that's all I have used, so I can only talk to the process that I use which is a clean install - it never fails
                            The next brick house on the left
                            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jfabernathy View Post

Do you think that there will be a standard way to migrate to 22.04.1 LTS from 21.10 once the point release is out maybe this summer? I had to move from 20.04.3 LTS to 21.10 due to my latest hardware not supported at the time.
                              I'm not totally clear on what you're asking here. Let me explain my confusion:

The way one moves from one release version to the next doesn't vary: "sudo do-release-upgrade". So the literal answer to the question is: "Yes."

I think you know this, so it seems you might be asking something else. 22.04.1 won't be released until sometime in July or August (based on history). So are you asking "If I wait for the first LTS point release, is the upgrade done differently? The answer to that is "No."

The Ubuntu "point" release really only signifies a change in the packaging (the ISO for example) that includes all the additions, updates, and bug fixes that have occurred before the point release date. It's done only with LTS versions and because the length of time the LTS versions are supported. So If one comes along mid-way in the LTS life cycle and wants to install Kubuntu, instead of installing Kubuntu 22.04 and then two years worth of updates (which could number over a 1000), one could just install Kubuntu 22.04.4 or whatever is current. Doing either gives the exact same result, the post-install updates just take longer if you don't use the current point release.

So whenever you decide to upgrade to 22.04, "do-release-upgrade" will take you to the most current available set of packages for 22.04, regardless if a point release (or two or three) has occurred.

I'm guessing, like me, that you wait a bit into the release cycle before upgrading to the next release. I use my computer every day and need some stability so I wait for a few months to let the larger bugs get handled before making the leap.

Now as far as "Migration" - here's an interesting way you can test the release upgrade over without fully committing: Install both versions side-by-side. Since I know you use BTRFS you don't need another partition - you can do this directly to the same file system already 21.10 is on, and there's a couple different ways - "Dual boot" or "Snapshot rollback."

Assuming you are using a default BTRFS install, you have two subvolumes @ and @home that contain 21.10:

Snapshot rollback is the easiest. Simply snapshot both subvolumes and then run "do-release-upgrade". Use it for a bit and if you're satisfied, delete the snapshots. If you're not, delete the 22.04 subvolumes and rename the snapshots back to the default and reboot. Honestly, when you do the upgrade, you should do it this way regardless of your intentions.

Dual boot takes a bit more work to set up but allows you to switch back and forth by booting either install for as long as you'd like without extra snapshot actions. To do this, you need to migrate your current install from @ and @home to another name, create a custom grub stanza, and once it works, then install 22.04 and add the custom grub stanza to it so you can boot either install.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post

I'm not totally clear on what you're asking here. Let me explain my confusion:

The way one moves from one release version to the next doesn't vary: "sudo do-release-upgrade". So the literal answer to the question is: "Yes."

I think you know this, so it seems you might be asking something else. 22.04.1 won't be released until sometime in July or August (based on history). So are you asking "If I wait for the first LTS point release, is the upgrade done differently? The answer to that is "No."
                                I remember back while I was using Ubuntu 20.04 I tried to use "sudo do-release-upgrade" and it would not upgrade to 20.10 or 21.04 because they were not LTS release.

What I'm confused about is if I take my 21.10 system and do "sudo do-release-upgrade" after 22.04 LTS is released will it upgrade me to 22.04 LTS and keep me on the LTS?

Comment

Working...
                                X