This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spice

I've discovered a very powerful tool used by NASA for a variety of purposes. I am using the Python version of it, spiceypy, in my Python3 environments.
    https://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/naif/spiceconcept.html

What does SPICE stand for?
    The SPICE system's logical components and the actual data files—the kernels—used to realize those components are summarized below.

S- Spacecraft ephemeris, given as a function of time. (SPK)

P- Planet, satellite, comet, or asteroid ephemerides, or more generally, location of any target body, given as a function of time. (also SPK)

The P component also logically includes certain physical, dynamical and cartographic constants for target bodies, such as size and shape specifications, and orientation of the spin axis and prime meridian. (PCK)

I- Instrument information containing descriptive data peculiar to the geometric aspects of a particular scientific instrument, such as field-of-view size, shape and orientation parameters. (IK)

C- Orientation information, containing a transformation, traditionally called the "C-matrix," which provides time-tagged pointing (orientation) angles for a spacecraft bus or a spacecraft structure upon which science instruments are mounted. The C component may also include angular rate data for that structure. (CK)

E- Events information, summarizing mission activities - both planned and unanticipated. Events data are contained in the SPICE E-kernel file set, which consists of three components: Science Plans, Sequences, and Notes. (EK)
    I just finished computing a graph of the orbit of the CASSINI spacecraft around Saturn. I've started on my next project of graphing the solar system barycenter and exploring how its orbit changes as various solar system object masses are changed to zero. Fun, Fun, Fun!!!!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.
Working...
X