X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is StartPage a good browser?

https://restoreprivacy.com/startpage-system1-privacy-one-group

A reddit post titled, “Startpage is now owned by an advertising company” kicked off an interesting discussion that prompted many to consider alternatives.

This article will examine my findings from researching these developments with Startpage, System1, and the “Privacy One Group”. It will also explain why Startpage is no longer recommended by Restore Privacy.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

If you want 100% privacy in the world we live in now, good luck! If anyone is really that concerned over what 'prying eyes' may be able to see of your online habits, run your 'Net connection through a VPN. Even that isn't a 100% guarantee you can't/aren't being tracked, but it's probably the best you can do, short of not getting on the 'Net at all!
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

startpage is a search engine and not a browser?

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
        startpage is a search engine and not a browser?
        Yup, sort of. There are at least two kinds of search engines: those that run their own crawlers and create their databases from the info the crawlers send back, and those that are "meta search engines", i.e., they send their query to Google, Bing or some other search engine and then parse the results back to the person making the query. DuckDuckGo and Startpage are meta search engines. Mojeek is a search engine. Google has tainted DDG and SP, but not mojeek, so far.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X