X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trinity running on my netbook :]

Crossposted to Debian forums.

I had forgotten Trinity was a thing - an entire KDE 3.5 suite that I can run on my netbook. Clickable screenshots below, text below that

Got new-to-me laptop as an early xmas gift and to make a long, boring story short my Atom N270 netbook which had been running backups for the network and acting as a DLNA server got retired.

What to do with a perfectly good piece of hardware? Put KDE 3.5 on it

Over on the Debian forums someone mentioned Trinity and I'd completely forgotten about that project; so I added the repo and installed the metapackage.

Setup was pretty much flawless using instructions for Sid that were buried a little deep in the documentation. Got one gripe, though - Stretch/Sid installs pull the entire stable package in as a dependency but you can't browse the archives because the stable repo is only mapped to the machine during install. Easy to fix so it's only a small grumble.

Out of the box with compositing on and conky running the machine uses about 23MB more RAM at idle than my fluxbox install on the same machine; by getting rid of the stuff I don't use and killing services I don't need I've got Trinity's RAM usage within 7MB of fluxbox at idle and Trinity is one heck of a lot more configurable.

The netbook has been repurposed again; gonna use it in the bedroom for the very few times I need to computer in the bedroom. Much easier to read than my phone

Anyway, linkage for those what might be interested - https://www.trinitydesktop.org/

Have fun
    Last edited by wizard10000; Dec 22, 2016, 12:45 PM. Reason: !@#$ netbook keyboard. grumble.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

That's amazing (Trinity)! Just looked at the link you gave, and under News, it was most recently updated last month. Wow. KDE 3.5 still under active development by Trinity. Talk about a DE that won't die! That's dedication and support.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      That's amazing (Trinity)! Just looked at the link you gave, and under News, it was most recently updated last month. Wow. KDE 3.5 still under active development by Trinity. Talk about a DE that won't die! That's dedication and support.
      Yeah - I am liking the level of configurability available and it actually runs pretty well on this old netbook. I was a big fan of KDE3 but I've forgotten a lot of what I learned - relearning this will be kinda fun.
      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
      -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
      X