Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vivaldi browser odd behavior - no space bar function when using "Reply with quote"

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see a setting for this in my personal settings. Is it normal for the Cursor to be placed before the quoted text in a reply?

Please Read Me

Comment

I've moved this thread out from Site Improvements as I'm not convinced that the issue is unique to our Forum and/or vBulletin. It's an issue I've never seen or heard of before. It 'seems' to be browser specific (seems, as has been stated in this thread, the browser tested affects some, but not others).

I would suggest that, while using the browser so affected, you try changing fonts (from within Plasma) and Desktop Theme. You might also want to check what Character Encoding is in use.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        I've moved this thread out from Site Improvements as I'm not convinced that the issue is unique to our Forum and/or vBulletin. It's an issue I've never seen or heard of before. It 'seems' to be browser specific (seems, as has been stated in this thread, the browser tested affects some, but not others).

I would suggest that, while using the browser so affected, you try changing fonts (from within Plasma) and Desktop Theme. You might also want to check what Character Encoding is in use.
        Well, I checked Character Encoding. In Vivaldi it was set to "Western (Windows-1252)" while in terminal I'm set to en_US.UTF-8. So I changed Vivaldi to "Unicode (UTF-8)" (same as Chromium) and closed and re-opened it but no difference.

Please Read Me

Comment

The really odd thing is it happens only if I move the cursor to the absolute bottom of the edit window. If I'm one space to the left, which places the cursor at the end of the above line, it doesn't happen. I cannot get this to happen in Chromium, only Vivaldi.

NickStone: Any interest in trying this again? Curious to see if you get the same results - moving the cursor to the bottom, then one left arrow.

Please Read Me

Comment

If you have the time (and the desire), would you make notes and take screenshots (annotated/marked up afterwards) of this issue? I can ask over on vBulletin Forums about this, but having screenshots and notes as to steps taken, things observed, would be very helpful.

Comment

Seems I'm not the only one: https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/1224...ulletin-boards

Some incompatibility between Vivaldi and vBulletin?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                Seems I'm not the only one: https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/1224...ulletin-boards

This is the result when using Chromium with cursor at the end of this line
                Thisistheresultwhencarriagereturntonewline
                systemd is not for me. I am a retro Nintendo gamer. consoles I play on are, SNES; N64; GameCube and WII.
                Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.8 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10

Comment

This is when cursor at end of line using Vivaldi
                  This is after pressing carriage return to new line using Vivaldi

Weird that we both have the same issue but in my case it's with Chromium and for you it's with Vivaldi.
                  Last edited by NickStone; Dec 09, 2016, 01:35 PM.
                  systemd is not for me. I am a retro Nintendo gamer. consoles I play on are, SNES; N64; GameCube and WII.
                  Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.8 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10

Comment

Very. It really makes me think it's vBulletin, but it could be some setting in the browsers that we have flip-flopped.

Please Read Me

Comment

Here's a combined screenshot. Snowhog, PM me an email address and I'll send you the full size - 1920x1200
                      Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

Here's a combined screenshot. Snowhog, PM me an email address and I'll send you the full size - 1920x1200
                        I just installed Vivaldi 64-bit on my Kubuntu 16.10 VM. I accepted all the defaults. I'm running Vivaldi and am replying here using Reply With Quote, having clicked the mouse to put the cursor at the position immediately after the ] character. As I type, the space bar works without any issues. (This is 'Test 1').

Comment

Again, using Reply With Quote. I positioned the cursor using the mouse click, again, to the position immediately after the ]. I then hit Return to position the cursor to the next line, and from there am typing this reply. Space bar works fine. (This is 'Test 2')

Comment

And again, using Reply With Quote, and again, using the mouse click to position the cursor to the position immediately after the ] character. I pressed Enter twice and then began typing this reply. Space bar works as expected. I do not experience the issue being described. (This is 'Test 3')

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                              And again, using Reply With Quote, and again, using the mouse click to position the cursor to the position immediately after the ] character. I pressed Enter twice and then began typing this reply. Space bar works as expected. I do not experience the issue being described. (This is 'Test 3')
                              NowtrywithChromium

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                                NowtrywithChromium
                                This reply is while using Chromium (just installed) Positioned the cursor with mouse click immediately after the ] character. Space bar works fine as I type this. (This is 'Test 4')

Comment

Working...
                                X