X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effort to "De-Goole" the web

The Open-Source Group Trying to "De-Google" the Internet"

Of course if it takes off there is a clause in the Patriot Act which says that any "attack on the financial interests" of a "U.S." company will be attacked.

That means....'geo blocking'

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Oct 17, 2016, 07:19 PM.

woodsmoke, I'm interested in this because of the stated goal of offering alternatives to Gmail(r). I'll be keeping an eye on this.
    Thanks

[warning, French language ONLY site.]
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Gotta say that they HAVE done their due diligence and have been around for several years AND have met their stated goals, with at least one more year out.

It seems to be "mostly" cloud and for good reason.

HERE is an idea................

A few distros back there was, and still is, a "facebook replacement'.... we worked mightily on that thing...

the two problems were:

a) the capability was not there
      b) Even Linux people just weren't interested, and probably BECAUSE they are Linux people , probably just not oriented toward Facebook.

But....if that dingus could be revived hmmm

MAYBE.............the "lack of interest" was because it was "just another facebook"..

WHAT IF.... it was integrated with the rest of the stuff.........so that one had Facebook+complexity.....

hmmmm

everybody with their own facebookthingy
      woodsmoke
      Last edited by woodsmoke; Oct 17, 2016, 07:26 PM.

Comment

There are hundreds of alternatives to Gmail. Possibly thousands. A lot require a small fee, but if you really want to escape Gmail, that shouldnt be an issue. I use Fastmail. https://www.fastmail.com/pricing/

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
          There are hundreds of alternatives to Gmail. Possibly thousands. A lot require a small fee, but if you really want to escape Gmail, that shouldnt be an issue. I use Fastmail. https://www.fastmail.com/pricing/
          Yea that's a great alternative! I considered them but in the end last year went with Kolab. They're hosted in Switzerland, and fiercely secure and open source. Even the server hardware is open! Further, through both the commercial (.com) and non-profit (.org), they fund development of Roundcube and Roundcube Next web PIM and groupware interfaces, as well as the development of Kube, KDE PIM (and Kontact's) eventual replacement. They are a few bucks more a month if you pay by the month, and about the same as others if you pre-pay (~$5 / mo). Worth it to me. Also, it's the home of KDE's beloved Aaron Seigo

Kolab's Freedom Statement

Pricing

Self-hosted info

In the end, use whatever works for you and, if you feel like some of us do, that it's time to de-Google, know there are plenty of options out there!
          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
          K*Digest Blog
          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
          X