Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An open and free Internet is the most dangerous thing 'in the eyes of a Government'. If you don't believe this is true, just look to China.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
      It seems that a few are trying to stop this change:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016...t-control.html

Frankly, I'm not sure that this isn't just election politics in action, since it is so late and so little.
      If anyone of either party were sincere about preventing the illegal give away of ICANN and iana they had TWO YEARS to do something about it. Since the Constitution specifically allows only Congress to approve sale of US property Obama couldn't legally give it away and anyone in Congress could have begun the appropriate action to stop the transfer the day after it was announced. Tomorrow is the last day to do anything and most of Congress is out campaigning for their jobs. It is obvious that they don't care about anything except getting re-elected to sustain their personal power and perks. So it is up to four state AG's to try a court injunction, which I seriously doubt a judge would approve.

The Internet is about to take a steep dive into chaos, which is probably the goal for most of our politicians. The only question now is "Will this world wide communication net survive, or become isolated chunks controlled by sociopaths and psychopaths.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        The Internet is about to take a steep dive into chaos, which is probably the goal for most of our politicians. The only question now is "Will this world wide communication net survive, or become isolated chunks controlled by sociopaths and psychopaths.
        An argument could be made that it already is such... "I fear this will not end well."
        Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Just found this article about 'net alternatives:

http://observer.com/2016/09/a-second...he-blockchain/

Time will tell, but I'm keeping an eye on all of these options.

[edit] I'm not happy that the browser being used by Blackstack is based on Google's Chromium. This sends warning signals about real security...
          I watched that 45 minute description about Namechain and 15 minute description of BlockStack. At the 29 minute mark Muneeb Ali discussed serious shortcomings of Namechain. He thinks he has them solved in BlockStack. It's based on the BitCoin Stack, and the developers of that group have been debating for a year if they want to change one line of code to double the size of the base block from 1MB to 2MB because, it seems, that BitCoin is saturated at 100% with the 1Mb base block. That's the stumbling block Muneeb thinks his group has developed a work around for.

The fundamental problem still remains: it all has to go through ISP servers and the gov has access to those servers. It would be nothing for TimeWarner, for example, to introduce a value in IP packets which identify their router which the consumer uses to connect to BlockStack and its network. In Utah the federal government has developed a storage facility so massive that they have the capacity to store every byte of traffic on the Internet predicted for the next hundred years. By the end of 2016, global IP traffic will reach 1.1 ZB per year, or 88.7 EB per month, and by 2020 global IP traffic will reach 2.3 ZB per year, or 194 EB per month. While the Feds claim their Utah facility has a capacity of between 3 and 12 exabytes, depending on who you talk to, others estimate it to be well beyond a Yottabyte. Seven years ago a Department of Defense (DoD) report titled “Global Information Grid Architecture Vision”, in a section listing “key targets” for DoD technologies, the report included “very large scale data storage, delivery, and transmission technologies that support ... capacities exceeding exabytes (1018 bytes) and possibly yottabytes (1024 bytes) of data That's all forms of data, ranging from what is obtained by tapping the Internet, cellphone networks, private networks, etc... ALL areas of data exchange across the globe. Audio transmissions and sound tracks are transcribed to text for storage.

This doesn't take into account the fact that IPv6 traffic has remained under 7% worldwide for the last couple years and if economic problems occur, which is most likely, IPv6 expansion will stagnate, further limiting what the Feds have to capture. Right now, the Feds know more about you and me than we know about ourselves. And I haven't mentioned FAIRVIEW or BLARNEY.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 29, 2016, 07:21 PM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

As my signature line jokingly hints, we may need new technology to get better security.

If 'net traffic were truly secure (it is not) it might prevent this takeover of our privacy. Big dreams, but it's better than throwing our hands in the air and giving up.
            Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

As my signature line jokingly hints, we may need new technology to get better security.

If 'net traffic were truly secure (it is not) it might prevent this takeover of our privacy. Big dreams, but it's better than throwing our hands in the air and giving up.
              That's why I
              1) Run Linux
              2) use good passwords
              3) use a firewall
              4) have a 4096 RSA encryption key
              5) Not voting for any incumbent politician.
              6) and other steps ....

Comment

Well, I'll keep this to a couple of short comments:

A) It is just amazing to me how the liberals of the U.S. have become the conservatives at whom they sneered fourty years ago:

a) As to wanting to censor "offensive speech", does anyone remember when the Liberals of the U.S. used to sneer at the Conservatives about "sexdrugs/rock and roll" on t.v. by saying...."If you don't like it just change the channel".

b) It used to be that the conservatives were sneered at for the Principal having a 7th grade girl get down on her knees on the floor of the cafeteria so that they could measure "skirt length"...
                Principal Cumback explained to Webster that it was “necessary to closely monitor the girls attire because boys at this age get very distracted by the girls and their appearance.
                http://www.scarymommy.com/6th-grade-...rt-dress-code/

i) SO..........I reply...........put horseblinders on those boys instead of sex-shaming the girl!!

ii) And PUUUULEEEZE do NOT come back (sorry I couldn't help myself) with ..."Its South Carolina"..... the U.S. school system down south is just as "liberal" as the north nowadays. If the Principal has NOT done it he and the school would be in NON-Compliance of about ten jillion federal regulations that have appeared in the last few years.

I know....because we have to attend compulsory compliance meetings at the beginning of each semester or the school will be FINED...that started this year...

B) Anybody remember when I kept saying that the U.S. was building a "an internet "geo" fence", in part using the Patriot Act ( started by Bush and DOUBLED DOWN ON by Obama.... that would keep "internet radio" out of the U.S. because it "might harm" the big music companies,

Ummmmm....aside from the commercial, tower based radio stations who have deluged the internet radio of the U.S.....

HOW MANY "free" as in NON-PAID ADVERTISING" "internet radio" stations are still extant in the U.S.?

Ummmm one....

http://somafm.com/

And.... I can also remember when people used to post....."But we can always figure out a way around it...like with our PHONES!!"....

to which I reply.............ummm rrriiiiiigggggttttt.

woodrecordsstreamsandputsthemonDVDssoIcanlistenwhe nthefinaldigitalWALLisbuiltaroundtheU.S.smoke
                Last edited by woodsmoke; Sep 29, 2016, 09:18 PM.

Comment

That Being Said, Saturday will be interesting as that is the day the deal is supposed to go down.

There are some very large corporations which want it to happen, but even the head of the FCC is warning about it.

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2016/...-irreversible/

You may not care for the host of the show, but the FCC Commissioner has a point to be considered.

Comment

Midnight tonight.
                    And after two years of nothing but hand-ringing and fundraising mailers over this "sale", neither party has done squat. Four State AG's are trying to sue to stop Obama from giving/selling away what he is not allowed by the Constitution to give away/sell. That has a snowball's chance in hades of working.

Comment

So we wait and see.

If I were a spider, in the center of my web, I would be feeling unsettling vibs, as if the main links holding my web were being quietly cut...

drumroll please.

Comment

If ICANN and iana do go to the UN then my browsing will be through Neon, my guest OS, and a VPN.

Comment

I know the TOR is not safe. Have you looked at TAILS? The Amnesic Incognito Live System

Similar to TOR, but a complete, bootable OS, configured to not be run on your own system.

https://tails.boum.org/index.en.html

This fits on a usb or cd/dvd

Comment

I know the TOR is not safe. Have you looked at TAILS? The Amnesic Incognito Live System

Similar to TOR, but a complete, bootable OS, configured to not be run on your own system.

https://tails.boum.org/index.en.html

This fits on a usb or cd/dvd
                            I looked at Tails and played with it last year. It ran like molasses.
                            I wasn't pleased that it used the Tor network which, IMO, has been compromised.

Comment

I agree on the speed of TAILS. Fortunately it is not designed to be a replacement for an installed OS.

I look at it as one time or very infrequent use communication channel which would (likely) not reveal my location.

Yes, TOR was compromised by its very beginning design. Too bad, the concept is good, but the implementation is open to hacking.

Comment

Hooray! Freedom from US government interference.
                                Last edited by ianp5a; Oct 01, 2016, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X