This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which VPS provider?

I currently host my website and email server at home, but I'm looking to move house soon.

I'll probably have a few weeks or months in between my current home and the new house where I won't be able to run my server, and I'd like to cover the transition with a VPS.

My requirements are:
    • Static IP with configurable PTR record (for the mail server)
    • IP address not on any blacklists
    • Real SSH + root access, I don't want to be forced to use a web based control panel for anything other than configuring the PTR record and submitting my publickey
    • At least 1GB RAM
    • Reasonable prices for ~3 month timescale.

That's about it really, preferably I'd like the server to be located in Europe, but it's not a deal breaker.
    Most VPS providers have data allowances that are way over what I currently use (~150GB monthly, and most of that is probably not the server).
    I doubt the bandwidth on the VPS will be worse than my home broadband connection.

Any advice or recommendations?
    samhobbs.co.uk

Not in Europe, but I used x10 VPS

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
      Not in Europe, but I used x10 VPS
      And you'd recommend them? Anything you particularly liked or didn't like?
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

All I did was host a few game servers (bzflag, minetest, minecraft); uptime was good, I think they offer Ubuntu server & centos, good location for my needs- would be kinda far for you

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
        Last edited by jpenguin; Sep 22, 2016, 02:20 PM.
        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

So, what about a cheap Linux hosting server that you can remotely log into and run FF and email clients residing on the server? (IF you keep the reservation secret).
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

You could try these, I have used them for about 8yrs, good guys to deal with and are located in Carrickfergus, NI.
            https://bigwetfish.hosting/self-mana...ual-solutions/

Comment

I use Digital Ocean. I pay about $10 a month and host three sites. There is no control panel or any of that garbage. Its a Linux VPS and nothing else.

(Shameless referral link)

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                I use Digital Ocean. I pay about $10 a month and host three sites. There is no control panel or any of that garbage. Its a Linux VPS and nothing else.

(Shameless referral link)
                Can you determine the quality of the anonymity it is supposed to supply? Is it truly encrypted end to end with RSA 256 or better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

No idea. How could I check such a thing?

Comment

Both Linode and Digital Ocean have supported Kubuntu in the past or currently with donations of VPS services.

Another company I've seen some of our devels using is Scaleway who are based in France (I believe) and should comply with the EU Data Protection directive. The nice thing about this company is that they offer multi arch and bare metal/cloud based services at very competitive prices.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your advice. I went with Scaleway in the end - their 5.99EUR/month VPS.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the static IP I was assigned had a perfect reputation score, which was important since I'm running a mail server.

Everything has been very easy, based on my experience this far I would definitely recommend them.

One big difference I've noticed vs hosting at home is that the download and upload speeds are much faster! I was expecting to notice the difference, but seriously... I was running a website quite happily at home and the load times were fine, but fetching updates and things like that is now ridiculously quick in comparison.
                      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

They do appear to have some kind of caching technology running on the local LAN. Updates are very, very fast, it's as if the Ubuntu archive is on the LAN beside you!

Comment

That or they're just sat on a massive pipe!
                          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X