X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How feel about Android pushing Desktop with KDE connect

Hi
    This is just a discussion thing IF anyone wants to discuss it, i won't give an opinion one way or the other.

I actually READ the latest update of KDE connect on the phone! LOL

And it said, basically.... folks you HAVE to also update the computer because we are pushing updates out so fast that if you let the phone automatically update and don't update the computer they might not synch.

Well, this really IS NOT a "big deal" but, it really did just kind of occur to me that............"KDE folks" are now in the rather unusual, and new, situation of "the tail (Android phone) seeming to wag the dog (the desktop or laptop).

Whereas it has always been before, I guess, the OS being updated when the user wanted and done with it.

So........... this is seemingly the way that things HAVE to be done, but....

Any comments?

And if nobody comments....moderators please delete the thread!

woodjustwonderingsmoke

I dont understand. Of course you would have to update both the phone and the computer versions of the software. Otherwise the new features would not be present on one device and would therefore not be usable. So...

Comment

Hi
      Thanks very much for the reply.
      I worried, when making the post, that the question would not be clear.

How do people feel about the situation where because Android phone side has been updated that the computer tower has to update.

An equivalent might be that Hewelett Packard makes a new driver so Kubuntu has to make an update to deal with HP.

Except this is within the "system", (and I detest that useage of the term) where an "alien" piece of hardware has an "app" requires that "normal" software on the "regular" piece of hardware to change.

Maybe it is a "psychological" thing, maybe it is that I'm used to the "computer" driving other stuff, where this is the other stuff driving the computer.

This thread is probably just a waste of space, my apololgies.

woodsmoke

Comment

As far as I know you dont have to update. If you update the Android app to the newest version, the old pc one will still work. You just need to update both in order to use new features. Same as with every other app.

Comment

That is quite correctamundo!

woodsmoke

Comment

I quite realize that this is an "older" thread...but then I'm old..lol... But...KDE connect just keeps amazing me.

two items.

It does "find your phone if you lost it in the house"...not on the other side of the state! lol

But...it now also does..

SMS with Google contacts! :0

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/i...s-autocomplete

woood...WOAH!!... smoke

Comment

It's good to discuss and understand what both OSes do. And if you are comfortable with what they are doing, then flip the coin/throw the dart/make your choice.

I'm old too, according to the calendar, but still fully capable of 1) making an informed decision, and 2) learning lessons when I screw up (which admittedly happens with predictable frequency - as confirmed by my wife when I screw up!).

There are applications that will help you to find your phone on the other side of the state, also. Technology is a wonderful thing and a pain in the a**, at the same time.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

ONLY if you have an Android phone. There is no KDEConnect client app for iPhones.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

True, that. But, on a personal, opinion(ated) level, I wouldn't have an iPhone anyway *<{;0)
                  The next brick house on the left
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                    True, that. But, on a personal, opinion(ated) level, I wouldn't have an iPhone anyway *<{;0)
                    You would if your son, his wife, your daughter, and three grandsons loved and used the iPhone and you wanted to FaceTime with them and use FindFriends, etc...., to say nothing of the EKG and BP device attached to the back of your iPhone that you use to monitor your wife's heart condition following two open heart surgeries.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Don't you just love our wonderful day and age of talking in code...LOL...ROTFL!!
                      GG wrote:

FaceTime
                      FindFriends
                      EKG
                      BP
                      woodlikedhavingthephonenumberbeingORiole7345and... DoyouhavePrinceAlbertinacan?yes,wellLETHIMOUTsmoke

Comment

Working...
                      X