This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LTS does not mean Stable

This article gives a good explanation on why the latest and greatest releases are problematic.
    It is based around Ubuntu, and by extension, Kubuntu.

http://www.datamation.com/open-sourc...ntu-lts-1.html

My preference is to have two installations, the stable LTS release for production work and something closer to the bleeding edge just to keep an eye on the future.

Right now, I'm running Kubuntu 14.04 LTS as my stable release and I have Kubuntu 16.04 LTS on a separate hard drive. Even though both are named as Long Term Support (LTS) releases, that does NOT mean that LTS is a synonym for stability. This is often confused by new users who fall into the trap of thinking the most current release is the "best-of-the-best"...

I don't bother to install or test the short term releases. My time is limited.

My advice to New Linux users: Use the stable release and remember that you are always welcome to find and report bugs in the bleeding-edge release. Testers are Always welcome.
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Yes, I feel much the same as you TWPonKubuntu.

I also have K14.04 (on SSD) as my current stable OS for everyday use and I currently have K15.10 (on HDD) as a test playground (I will replace this with K16.04.1 when it's released). Even with the most stable LTS version there are enough bugs for me (recent Firefox changes for example). When I feel K16.04 is stable enough I will install it in a second partition on my SSD and start using it every day (I'll still keep K14.04 as a 'fall back' for some time though). Yeah, I guess I'm conservative that way.

I also shy away from the short term non-LTS releases because the bugs drive me nuts. Each to their own, if others like continually fiddling around with their OS by all means use the short term releases and be happy doing so. I realise the developers need people to test things so they can fix the inevitable problems. The current LTS (K16.04) is an exception to the normal rule (for me) because of the move to Plasma 5 and the expected upheaval that it is causing. Hopefully, given time the problems will be fixed.

I also think too many new people think the latest release is the most stable and are quickly disappointed and may be discouraged with the bugs they find. Normally the new LTS release is stable enough, but not this time (yet).
    Last edited by Rod J; Jun 21, 2016, 07:19 PM.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

And I, here, have been running 16.04 LTS as my main system since it was early out of Alpha. It just goes to show that the experiences with this (or any other) release are as varied as the users. For me, 16.04 LTS has been rock solid steady.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog, I'm curious, are you using the 32bit or 64bit version?
        Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Rod J: I also shy away from the short term non-LTS releases because the bugs drive me nuts. Each to their own, if others like continually fiddling around with their OS by all means use the short term releases and be happy doing so.
          Yes. I ignore people complaining about bugs in the short-term releases. Are they not informed about what those releases are? If informed, then they are doing it for their own fun and education and to help find bugs. Nothing they should complain about.

Re LTS: like 16.04 ... the problem is that users coming to Kubuntu expect the LTS to be a safe choice, and that's too bad because I do see people getting frustrated and turning to other OS alternatives because of their bad experience with the LTS.

And what about businesses/enterprise? Aren't they many who also count on Kubuntu LTS being solid?
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Qqmike, you put it accurately. I could wish for a another step from Beta to full release, but that is just a needless complication to the whole process.

If I were in control, there would be more disclaimer statements on the download pages, but I don't really expect that to happen since it would not be good public relations.

So how can we make clear(er) the actual need for a real user testing phase, which is what happens after the formal release date?

[edit] FYI some of the emoticons just don't work...
            Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Jun 22, 2016, 09:19 AM. Reason: icon failures

Comment

I am using Kubuntu 16.04 since Beta 2 version without any problem. I even did not bother to clean install 16.04 final version. Just kept on updating and it has been rock solid thus far. And of course I still have 14.04 LTS on another partition.

Comment

...And this discussion and the issues associated with it are the exact reason that Project Neon came to be. Newer software on top of a stable and LTS base.
                ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                K*Digest Blog
                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  And I, here, have been running 16.04 LTS as my main system since it was early out of Alpha. It just goes to show that the experiences with this (or any other) release are as varied as the users. For me, 16.04 LTS has been rock solid steady.
                  My first Kubuntu distro was 9.04 Alpha, which I installed in January of 2009. For an Alpha is was remarkable stable, after it became beta it also became bedrock. I upgraded to the next *.04 beta and found it rock solid as well. When the first LTS came out, Trusty 12.04 I installed it and stayed with it until the beta of 14.04. Both were rock solid for me. I decided Plasma 5 was not for me and for three months earlier this year I tried Mint 17.3 KDE (based on 14.04). Mint was Ok, but its Btrfs implementation was poor, and Btrfs is something I won't do without ever again. So, I came back to Kubuntu 16.04 and did what I could to minimize the flat matte look, which stinks, IMO, compared to the gorgeous 14.04 Plasma 4 desktop. Around the first of April I installed the official release of Kubuntu 16.04.

I must say that for the first time since I began using Kubuntu this release was NOT stable or polished. This I attribute to the paradigm change between Plasma 4 and Plasma 5. When KDE 3 changed to KDE 4 there was a similar ironing out period. Version releases are difficult enough. Adding a paradigm change adds to the difficulty and complexity. After the first upgrade I noticed a significant improvement. Now, nearly 3 months later, I find my 16.04 with Plasma 5.6 to be as stable as a rock. And, I have enough color and 3D icons in the system tray and panel to give Plasma 5 acceptable eye candy appeal. Need I say anything about Btrfs? Ubuntu/Kubuntu has nailed Btrfs better than any other distro I've tried or experimented with.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                    Snowhog, I'm curious, are you using the 32bit or 64bit version?
                    64-bit.
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

As Snowhog, for me, 16.04 LTS 64bit has been rock solid steady more so after going to the backports for Plasma 5.6.4.

I do hate thought that others that do not get that experience right off do tend to go elsewhere. For Kubuntu anyway, that is a shame as Kubuntu for me is the best!

Comment

Working...
                      X