X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's all "T" to me

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
    The only thing I don't really like about it is the American spelling of equaliser
    [meta nit]
    -ize and -izer spellings are not American. They were the original English spellings, and are still mandated by the Oxford University Press (the last time I checked anyway), and sometimes called "academic spelling". The -ise spellings came from French in Victorian times, I'm tempted to think as snobbery about one's education. [/meta nit]

Regards, John Little
    Regards, John Little

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
    [meta nit]
    -ize and -izer spellings are not American. They were the original English spellings, and are still mandated by the Oxford University Press (the last time I checked anyway), and sometimes called "academic spelling". The -ise spellings came from French in Victorian times, I'm tempted to think as snobbery about one's education. [/meta nit]

Regards, John Little
    Well, Americanise you, and your facts!

Still I should have noticed that the British dictionary doesn't complain about equalizer or equaliser but does complain about color. I know it doesn't complain about Americanize either, but dictionary.com says Americanise is especially British. Yes, I checked.

I am tempted to forgo my morning coffee and have tea instead.
    If you're sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
      .. I am tempted to forgo my morning coffee and have tea instead.
      I must be British at heart, I enjoy several cups of tea every day! (green tea, slightly stirred )
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        I must be British at heart, I enjoy several cups of tea every day! (green tea, slightly stirred )
        I'm not a massive fan of green tea, it's OK once in a while but for preference Yorkshire Tea which has a lot of Assam in it.
        It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Green tea here, avg 4 cups/day. But whatever your tea, here in USA, the place to buy it--especially tea bags, but also loose--are your local oriental stores, especially the big ones. About $3 to $8 (mostly around $5) per box of 100 tea bags. There's your consumer-saver tip for the day.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Oh goody, a thread derail.

I'm OK with green tea and Yorkshire tea ... or builders' tea as we call it ... but I prefer a less full-bodied black tea. Like Darjeeling.

Tea: the global equaliser.
            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

2nd flush Darjeeling is my favourite . And of course some Oolong teas, but they can be very expensive.

Regards, John Little
              Regards, John Little

Comment

If I'm feeling particularly flush my favourite blend is 2 parts Assam and 1 part Darjeeling.
                It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                  2nd flush Darjeeling is my favourite . And of course some Oolong teas, but they can be very expensive.

Regards, John Little
                  Anyone who talks about drinking the "2nd flush" is a tea connoisseur. A friend brought me a tin of loose tea from China. I have a mug with a tea strainer in it. The China tea instructions are to seep the first cup of water for a minute, discard it, and seep the second cup for 3 or 4 minutes. Unbelievably good. The tin is empty. I'm back to green tea in foil bags. Going back to black tea is, to me, like drink bark juice.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

bark juice.
                    Another Chinese speciality, I hear
                    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

... The China tea instructions are to seep the first cup of water for a minute, discard it, and seep the second cup for 3 or 4 minutes...
                      "2nd flush" for Darjeeling refers to when it is harvested:[quote=Wikipedia]
                      Second flush*is harvested in June and produces an amber, full bodied, muscatel-flavoured cup.[/QUOTE ]
                      Going back to black tea is, to me, like drink bark juice.
                      I suggest you try one of the more subtle black teas, without milk. Standard black tea in the west (here called "gumboot") has brutal tannins to punch through the awful taste of hot dilute milk.

Regards, John Little
                      Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                      X