Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My grandson and I wanted to play Minecraft but ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My grandson and I wanted to play Minecraft but ...

When he turned on his Win8 laptop he got a forced upgrade from Microsoft, which then automatically rebooted his computer, and rebooted it, and rebooted it, and rebooted it .... rinse and repeat.

It was described as a 0x000021a error caused by a bad Winlogin.exe or a crsrs.exe file. Went to winhelp.us and tried everything they suggested. No Joy. Went to YouTube and tried some of the better suggestions there. Did a chkdsk. Did a revertpendingoptions. Now I am attempting to restore to a clean installation sans user installed apps. It's at 9% after 20 minutes. At every step I am working with handcuffs on.

Did I ever tell you I hated Windows?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

you have my commiserations, but it is a salutary example for your grandson

Go out and throw a ball or fly a kite while Microsith does it's thing!

woodsmoke

Comment

Well, I tried everything list on winheip.us to fix the 0x000021a error caused by a failed Windows update. The only thing that worked out of all the elaborate proceedures was restoring the system while saving (most) personal apps and files. That took 2 1/2 hours. Then I reinstalled Ghromium Browser, his email account and Minecraft. His kerbal space program was still on the desktop but the steam icons were dead. He began playing with Minecraft but them grandma called us to dinner. When we came back he wanted to browse. Then a message appeared about a Windows update, no permission or questions asked. When it came back up the time date and a rainbow wall paper came up but neither the mouse nor the keyboard affect anything. Recycling the power button caused a reboot but this time a black screen with no mouse or keyboard came up and that what happens every time now.
      Last edited by GreyGeek; May 23, 2016, 12:11 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I was searching about fixes to a "dead" keyboard and read that if I unplug the power line, take out the battery and hold the power button down for 30 seconds the F keys will work again.
        It worked! I went into the bios setup and immediately disabled "secure boot", and made the USB the first in the boot sequence. I stuck in my Kubuntu 16.04 LiveUSB and it came up. Xerus ran like a champ!
        All components worked properly. and the wifi was taking all my router would offer. Looks like a new Linux install is going to make an entrance!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          I was searching about fixes to a "dead" keyboard and read that if I unplug the power line, take out the battery and hold the power button down for 30 seconds the F keys will work again.
          DID NOT know that!! THANKEEE!!!

woodgratefulsmoke

Comment

I am now posting this msg from my Grandson's Toshiba SkullCandy laptop (L55) powered by a Kubuntu 16.04 LiveUSB. Everything works beautifully.
            Win8.1 is still dead and now all I get is a BSOD with inactive keyboard and mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              I am now posting this msg from my Grandson's Toshiba SkullCandy laptop (L55) powered by a Kubuntu 16.04 LiveUSB. Everything works beautifully.
              Win8.1 is still dead and now all I get is a BSOD with inactive keyboard and mouse.
              ...And I think to myself....What a wonderful world....
              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
              X