This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two things I didn't know about Windows 10

Among other things, since I haven't seriously run any version of Windows since XP.

I downloaded the free VirtualBox guest OS from Microsoft and contemplated installing it as a guest OS.
    Then, in addition to what I was told on the forum I learned:

1) Win10 won't run well or at all on legacy hardware, which may lack sufficient RAM, CPU speed or Win10 may lack compatible drivers.

2) And this next reason I find typical of Microsoft's ethics and business practices: they've implemented a P2P upgrade feature in which, after they upgrade your machine they use your machine as a server to serve updates to other users. One user measured 35GB of updates sent from his machine in two weeks. There is a way to block P2P while still getting updates from MS servers, described here .
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Yeah I am so glad I don't need to run their software. It really disturbs me the extent they have gone. The US's and it's companies ethics and practices are horrendous. Well not all the companies, but a lot of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Goddard View Post
      ... The US's and it's companies ethics and practices are horrendous. Well not all the companies, but a lot of them.
      Seems so. Perhaps when owners and managers were young they took to heart the teaching that there are no moral absolutes, no higher authority to which they are accountable, and one person's morality was as good as another's. Their morality turns out to be "screw thy neighbor". An example is the fund manager who bought a pharmaceutical and then jacked the price of a certain medicine from $50/dose to $7,500/dose based on nothing but greed.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

This is a creepy message displayed on Windows 10 when logging in after updates have taken place.
        "We have updated your computer while you were away. Your files are exactly where you left them."
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by life0riley View Post
          This is a creepy message displayed on Windows 10 when logging in after updates have taken place.
          "We have updated your computer while you were away. Your files are exactly where you left them."
          Totally updates and not Microsoft sending your data to the NSA. No sir, not at all.
          If you're sitting wondering,
          Which Batman is the best,
          There's only one true answer my friend,
          It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Originally posted by life0riley View Post
            What? You don't remember leaving copies of your files on a Microsoft server? How forgetful of you!

I never read Microsoft's EULA until Eric Raymond pointed out some clauses in his Halloween Letters a decade ago. I am not going to bother to read them now but I suspect that the consumer now relinquishes all their legal and political rights and makes Microsoft legal guardian of their children.

Comment

You can turn that P2P style of updates off. Just FYI.

Comment

You can also restrict Automatic Updates by changing your wireless settings to a "metered" connection. You then have to check manually for updates and install them.
                However, be aware that this is not without problems. Once you install updates, they could fail because the "metered" option has a bug in it. And if you plan to do ANYTHING with the app store (how very Apple of you MS), you need to turn the "metered" option off to get apps to install properly. They will NOT install otherwise.

It's really sad that a company puts out a half finished product, expects people to pay for that product while they update it, causing great inconvenience. They are freezing the version at 10, can we copy Apple anymore? Personally I hate Apple, why would I want a Windows version of it? And they want you to stay "signed IN", so they can track you, send advertisements to your computer, and enable certain features. I find using Windows with a local account just fine. I am not interested in games or further content, like Cortana. I don't use Windows often, but I do still love my Vista install.
                Kubuntu 18.04.3 LTS -- KDE 5.12.9

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
                  You can turn that P2P style of updates off. Just FYI.
                  From my OP:
                  There is a way to block P2P while still getting updates from MS servers, described here .

Comment

Originally posted by citizen View Post
                    ... And they want you to stay "signed IN", so they can track you, send advertisements to your computer, and enable certain features....
                    Ya, I forgot to mention that. Having an ad setting in your menu to great you every time you access it. I wonder when they will start putting timers on it so you'll have to wait some number of sections while the ad stares you in the face before you can actually get to the menu structure?

Comment

As to system specs yeah it may need a beefier system, but I just got an Acer Bay Trail (Intel Atom) convertible 10 inch tablet thingy with only 2gb ram, and so far it runs rather well. Not saying I like Windows at all, this is the first piece of hardware I have purchased that came with an OS since around 2002. It is pretty decent, performance wise, which surprised me. Then again, *buntu runs fine on it, except for missing things like touch screen rotation, power management, web cam, sound or wifi having mostly non-existent support at the moment.

I laugh at the p2p update feature. I debated leaving it on, since it is not too terribly far off of seeding linux iso torrents........

Comment

Sorry GG, that didn't register at the time I read that.

Comment

Working...
                        X