This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linus Torvalds at TED

A TED enthusiastic friend of mine told me that he saw the founder of Linux on TED. So I decided to see what it was all about and I found it worthwhile to know more about the man Linus Torvalds. The interview goes into his background, how he deals with people and what motivates him.

The TED talk is at http://www.ted.com/talks/linus_torva...linux#t-836079. Enjoy gaining more insight into the man behind Linux.
    Last edited by Snowhog; May 13, 2016, 11:20 PM.

Thanks for the link NoWorries. I really enjoyed this interview.
    Linux User #454271

Comment

So glad you enjoyed the link. When I was watching it, I suspected that Linus Torvalds had the characteristics of a person with mild Asperger's Syndrome. A good definition of this Syndrome can be found here.
      Last edited by NoWorries; May 15, 2016, 01:18 AM.

Comment

And he walks off the stage without recognizing the standing ovation!
        He doesn't like crowds but he spends a lot of time at conferences.
        His workstation at home was really austere, but he said he doesn't spend much time there and doesn't do much coding any more. He just receives email with code, patches, discussions and debate, and rejects some patches and merges others.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
          So glad you enjoyed the link. When I was watching it, I suspected that Linus Torvalds had the characteristics of a person with mild Asperger's Syndrome. A good definition of this Syndrome can be found here.
          He could be an aspie ... or he could just be Finnish

(I speak as a possible aspie in a relationship with a Finn)
          I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

I love the way he is so self-effacing and quite modest. A truly brilliant man in his field.
            Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
            Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
              I love the way he is so self-effacing and quite modest. A truly brilliant man in his field.
              Until you submit a piece of code that is poorly written, or suggest a modification to the kernel that is illogical. He doesn't suffer fools or incompetents and he doesn't play politics. You don't have to guess what is on his mind, he will tell you straight up.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X