This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wayland Versus Mir Development Status?

I saw a report on testing Mir with Unity and that Mir will be integrated into the Unity Desktop for 16.10. The article comment on Mir with Unity 8 is:
    Don't expect much to run normally on the Mir+Unity 8 session as they are literally riddled with bugs right now.
    My impression is that Wayland is now in KDE Plasma Version 5.6.3. Is this correct? If so, this means that Wayland development is more advanced than Mir.

I read Martin Graesslin's stuff pretty regularly. I don't think it would be fair to say you could use Wayland daily yet, much like Mir. But Martin is enthusiastically working on it, that's for sure.

In direct response to your comment: It may be there, but you aren't going to be doing much with it other than having a preview of it's current state.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      I read Martin Graesslin's stuff pretty regularly. I don't think it would be fair to say you could use Wayland daily yet, much like Mir. But Martin is enthusiastically working on it, that's for sure.

In direct response to your comment: It may be there, but you aren't going to be doing much with it other than having a preview of it's current state.
      I have done more searching and found a way to install wayland so that I can get an idea of its current status. I use the approach found here. I decided to install it on Kubuntu 16.10 which is in IMO a very early state of development.

At Login I have a choice of starting with either Plasma or Plasma Wayland. I have found that Wayland works best with the Application Dashboard launcher. It is acceptable if you choose applications that have been ported to Wayland. It can be very tricky to control window size with the mouse and there are frequent Plasma crashes particularly if I try to choose an application that has yet to be ported, eg Firefox. If it hasn't been ported to Wayland there is unpredictable performance if I manage to get such an application to launch.

Not all applications that have been ported to Wayland work properly. For example, Spectacle launches but does not take Snapshots. Otherwise I would have been able to show the Kinfocenter > Graphical Information > Wayland. Still very early days and at least I can now keep a tab on progress.
      Last edited by NoWorries; Apr 28, 2016, 02:17 PM. Reason: Response to Snowhog Comment

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
        ...Kubuntu 16.10 which is in a very early state of development.
        That statement must be caveated with "IMO", as it is not in a 'very early state of development'. That would have been true while it was in pre-alpha/alpha stage. It has however, been 'released'. Just prior to release, it was a 'Release Candidate', and prior to that, in Beta stage.

When expressing an opinion, please make it clear that that is what it is; an opinion, else others, newer to Kubuntu, might get the wrong impression.

Thank you.

I do need new glasses!
        Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 28, 2016, 04:10 PM.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Please don't ask me how I know about this... https://sourceforge.net/projects/rebeccablackos/ is the first live distro running Wayland
          If you're sitting wondering,
          Which Batman is the best,
          There's only one true answer my friend,
          It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            That statement must be caveated with "IMO", as it is not in a 'very early state of development'. That would have been true while it was in pre-alpha/alpha stage. It has however, been 'released'. Just prior to release, it was a 'Release Candidate', and prior to that, in Beta stage.
            I was referring to Yakkaty Yak 16.10 which is current pre-alpha. It still has just less than 6 months of further development ahead and I am looking forward to seeing the progress, particularly with Wayland integration, over the coming months.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post

When expressing an opinion, please make it clear that that is what it is; an opinion, else others, newer to Kubuntu, might get the wrong impression.

Thank you.
              Then I am way behind ... 16.04 has only just been released surely?

eta: I see NoWorries has replied too.
              I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                I was referring to Yakkaty Yak 16.10 which is current pre-alpha. It still has just less than 6 months of further development ahead and I am looking forward to seeing the progress, particularly with Wayland integration, over the coming months.
                Quoting whom some here would say is among the top celebrities in the U.S., "Doh!"

Yes, you were. I saw .04 when you clearly identified .10.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I saw .04 myself there too. My glasses are new, maybe I need a refund, lol

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    I saw .04 myself there too. My glasses are new, maybe I need a refund, lol
                    Your glasses are probably OK, the problem is Speed Reading which can trip you up.

Comment

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
                      Please don't ask me how I know about this... https://sourceforge.net/projects/rebeccablackos/ is the first live distro running Wayland
                      No it is not the first, this was. but has been removed.
                      https://dot.kde.org/2015/12/18/first...and-live-image

Then it was updated, this has also been removed.
                      http://jriddell.org/2016/03/01/wayland-image-updated/

A link to KDE KWin/Wayland
                      https://community.kde.org/KWin/Wayland

Comment

Working...
                      X