• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FreeOffice 2014 Softmaker requires your EMAIL

Ok

This is NOW ALL OVER THE SOCIAL MEDIA FOR LINUX:

http://www.softmaker.com/en/

as an alternative with a "proven history" of being "compatible" with Microsith office.

there are a variety of download options including "debs"...for Linux....

AND.......it downloads with Qapt or whatever....

BUT BEFORE YOU CAN USE IT.....

It requires:

"your name" yes you could use Mr. Mxyzptlk........... lol

AND YOUR E-MAil......

to get an "activation code"....

welll ..................ummm...............nooooooohhhhh !!!

it actually did UNinstall using synaptic....

so...........

It MAY BE VERY LEGIT...............

but it also may be a way to harvest information...............rather like WPS office

from............................COMMUNIST CHINA.....

THIS upon opening synaptic:

broken packages requiring "dpkg -- configure - a"

woodsmoke@woodsmoke-kubuntulatest:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
    [sudo] password for woodsmoke:
    Setting up shared-mime-info (1.3-1) ...
    Unknown media type in type 'all/all'
    Unknown media type in type 'all/allfiles'
    woodsmoke@woodsmoke-kubuntulatest:~$
    woodjustsayin'smoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Apr 14, 2016, 11:07 PM.

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
    ...It MAY BE VERY LEGIT...............

but it also may be a way to harvest information...............rather like WPS office

from............................COMMUNIST CHINA.....

woodjustsayin'smoke
    And just like Microsoft Office from CAPITALIST SEATTLE USA
    Last edited by Guest; Apr 16, 2016, 11:05 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Comment

LOL YEP!!!! lol

as an addendum which I didn't post, one can remove it with"

softmaker-freeoffice.i386.

But...........hey.,...............just goes to show that "social media" is NOW THE NEW CONDUIT FOR "WHATEVERWARE"....lol

wooditskindafunnysmoke

Comment

That's what mailinator.com is for

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Did I miss the point? You're freaked out because a German company selling a commercial product wants contact info before they let you try out the product for free or are you just talking about social media being used as a marketing tool? Neither of these is a recent development. And I have no idea how the political or economic systems of the source country (or another apparently unrelated country) come into play.

Seems like you're accusing the maker's of Softoffice of being a front for China so they can collect email addresses for some nefarious purpose. If this is the case, I've got news for you; there are 100's if not 1000's of companies more than willing to sell anyone an email address list - just like they always have with mailing lists in the "old" days - again - old news. Kind of a silly thing to be concerned with, don't cha think?

If you don't want to be marketed to, don't have email or an address for that matter. Find a cave and wear a tin hat.

I seriously doubt China is standing by to invade our country via the email accounts of people who try out a free version of an office software suite produced in Europe. Our congress is owned by corporations via the Citizens United decision and our own Government agencies spying on us are both much bigger threats to your personal freedoms and privacy than China ever will be.

Have a couple boat drinks and try not to read conspiracy into every company trying to do business via the internet. You'll be happier and live longer.

Please Read Me

Comment

This is why you have a few throw-away email address laying around. And lets not freak out about 'Communist' China when a) China is more like state capitalism than communism b) the US government is controlled largely by corporations making it too state capitalism in a way.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              If you don't want to be marketed to, don't have email or an address for that matter. Find a cave and wear a tin hat.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post

sent from my samsung galaxy s5 using tapatalk
                +1 ;d

Please Read Me

Comment

I was merely providing information for those who may have seen the app.
                  woodsmoke

Comment

Had anyone ever tried softmaker office? I heard it functions more like wordperfect...

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

I looked at it, using a throwaway email, but still prefer LibreOffice.
                      I uninstalled it.
                      Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                        ... I seriously doubt China is standing by to invade our country via the email accounts of people who try out a free version of an office software suite produced in Europe. Our congress is owned by corporations via the Citizens United decision and our own Government agencies spying on us are both much bigger threats to your personal freedoms and privacy than China ever will be. ...
                        I have a very good friend whose son works in Beijing, China. He is a linguistics expert who got his MS in Linguistics at a university in Beijing and has become and expert in ancient Chinese dialects. He works in a museum there. He says people are just as free there as they are here. He is not a Leftist, nor does he care about politics. He is a devout Christian and attends the Three-Way Christian church in Beijing. He says there are more Christians in China than there are people in America! He speaks Mandarin, and several other dialects, so well that he has no accent and is often thought to be native born Chinese until those who have conversed with him meet him in person. He really loves China. But, he may be leaving. His dad told that he is planning to get a PhD in Linguistics in England or Japan. He's been studying Japanese on his own.

I don't worry about China or Russia. I worry more about our own government: the NSA, IRS, EPA, FBI and other government agencies that have been weaponized against 50% of the citizenry.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

an INTERESTING perspective GG!!

LOL maybe he should publish a book or do a youtube video!

woodinterestedsmoke

Comment

woodsmoke
                            I feel like most people outside of America know this to be true. All the people Ive met from Europe and other places dont have this weird doomsday, Communist are going to take over the world attitude that a lot of Americans do. I lived in China for a while and it was fine, actually felt freer than American in a lot of ways. America has a ridiculous amount of laws and a police force that operates like a business.

Comment

nice perspective! thanks!
                              woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                              X