This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far would you go to buy bread?

This afternoon I made a 200 mile, 3 1/2 hour round-trip ride on my Harley to purchase bread. Yes, the bread I went for is that good, and not available locally. Eau Claire, WI is the closest location near me that has this bread.

Who's bread you ask, is worth going that far for? A small company located in Withee, WI: One Love Bread

They make the most amazingly delicious breads I've ever had, anywhere. I will go out of my way to get some!

My Bread Trip
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

I think Santa Fe and Taos have many "organic, handmade" breads. But Trader Joe's has pretty good, high-fiber breads at good prices, off the shelf. In any case, I freeze a couple loaves at a time. Remove one slice at a time from freezer and thaw or place in toaster to thaw. Do you buy quantity and freeze?
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

You just wanna to go for a ride and used the bread as an excuse.
      sigpic

Comment

Mmmmmm I love good bread ,,,, with some cheese and meet sliced on a plate to eat like finger food ,,,and a nice glass of wine.

Dam you man ,,,,,,,,,now I'm hungry again

But I ant driving from NC to MN to get it tonight ....................

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

the simple things in life are best, sometime

Worked in an old factory (Columbian Enamel pans and such) at nights to get through college (along with a couple other jobs). For lunch, they had a vending machine, and for 25 cents you got a dry cheese sandwich on white bread; mustard or mayo etc came separately in a packet. I got to liking a plain cheese sandwich, and to this day enjoy one now and then, this time on whole wheat bread, usually with a little mustard.

Another one is a basic bacon sandwich: strips of bacon wrapped in a slice of plain toast, or lightly buttered toast.

More bread subject (so I'm not off-topic yet): peas. Working through college, a can of peas was just 10 cents, and it really went well with ... yep, plain white bread! To this day, I re-visit this improvised delicacy. My buddy from France went along with it, but our pal from India insisted on curry in the pan of peas. I never could get into the curry, to this day.

My 14.04 runs so d*mn well, I have nothing else to ask or to contribute lately
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
            the simple things in life are best, sometime

peas. Working through college, a can of peas was just 10 cents, and it really went well with ... yep, plain white bread!
            peas you say .

I eat my peas with honey , I'v done it all my life , it makes the peas taste funny , but it keeps them on my knife !

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

well, that's a new one for me, peas with honey. As long as it sticks, wth, who's to say either way ...

Comment

I use a spoon to eat peas. Anyone try Ezekiel Bread?
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Ezekiel....yep! I do not "need" to consume it, but it lead me to baking my own...

Eau Claire................I got relatives in Mauston......... lol.....

and..............this is rich:
                  peas you say .

I eat my peas with honey , I'v done it all my life , it makes the peas taste funny , but it keeps them on my knife !

VINNY
                  woodlaughingsmoke

Comment

I think Trader Joe's carries Ezekiel bread, seems very popular--and healthful.
                    I made banana but nut bread with raisins and walnuts yesterday. Does that count in a bread discussion?

(Edit: change but to nut!)
                    Last edited by Qqmike; Apr 15, 2016, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                      I made banana but bread ...
                      I would have spewed my coffee reading this IF you had spelled it butt! (I didn't know they had butts) hehehe
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog: I would have spewed my coffee reading this IF you had spelled it butt! (I didn't know they had butts) hehehe.
                        Ha! I changed it to nut. For those dropping in here, see the post preceding Snowhog's post, where I made an edit and a cross-out and a note.

That got me laughing, too! I could be thankful that you caught this early in the morning before everyone reads it, but we are global here! I didn't sleep much last night and hope this is not an early indication how my day is going to go.

Comment

Trader Joe's Ezekiel bread sets on the shelf at room temp. Since it doesn't contain Calcium Proprionate, a fungus inhibitor, it can get moldy in a week or less after they put it on the shelf. Atkins and other health food stores shelf the bread in their coolers, for a longer shelf life. My wife and I love its taste and texture.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                          X