This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
    What? I couldn't believe what I read here. In another post you mentioned that you actually liked the Cinnamon desktop which is built using GTK+3.
    Cinnamon is OK, not great, but OK. Mint 17.3's KDE 4 is awesome in every way you'd expect KDE4 to be. My only disappointment is the way btrfs is deployed. It's not in the default ISO. If you want to use it you have to install btrfs-tools while you are running the LiveCD (or USB) and then start the install. IOW, it appears to be an afterthought. I'm disappointed with they way they created the basic volumes, too.

Ergo, I've been playing with the beta of Kubuntu 16.04. I've decided I can learn to appreciate Plasma5. Last week I backed up all my data and earlier today I downloaded the 4/17 beta and dd'd it to a USB stick. Later this afternoon I am going to install it. What really finally drove me to it was that I really missed Btrfs. BackInTime just doesn't measure up.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, I am now looking at a newly minted Kubuntu 16.04 desktop using the 4/17/16 beta release, updated. The only bug I had was System Settings breaking every time I closed it, but the update fixed that.
      Now I am installing my most used apps and hanging curtains and such.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        However, those that come here and make demands or threats like they'll "go back to using windows" are very irksome. I rarely manage to let those posters have a pass. At a minimum, I will point out that they paid nothing for the OS and we are volunteers and that nasty tones or poor attitudes will not engender assistance. I've noticed that these types rarely stick around very long. I suspect they're not really in search of solutions.
        Yes, I've noticed that. While I agree with your position and sentiment, I've felt a little uncomfortable with your going beyond that minimum, as not being quite as friendly as we usually are. I appreciate that your hard work running KFN entitles you to be more strident than I would be.
        Rather, they're looking to create drama to justify their anger-skewed view of the world...
        Or something like that. Cringing at the memory, I've been somewhere like there, I must admit, with hindsight having an anger-skewed view of the world and the linux community in general. The first release of KDE4, and Unity, did that to me. It's a bit like road rage, when anger-skewed one needs to focus on the fact that from someone else's point of view things could be very different. Be clear that it's the posters that you complain about who are anger-skewed, as I was, not you. Having made those cringe-worthy mistakes myself, I suppose I'm more forgiving of them.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

I appreciate your candor John. Although, I'm not a mod - just a frequent commenter.

My occasional strident tone comes from being a logical problem solver and self-sufficient responsible person. This causes me to get irked when someone complains about an issue but doesn't even take the time to gather info or knowledge about the issue so they can get a solution, much less fix it themselves. Couple that with an attitude of entitlement and I boil a little bit. I forget that not everyone is blessed with thought processes that are helpful to them. I usually just pass over these posts, but sometimes I take the bait. Then I at least try to be civil and re-read my comments a few times, gauging the temperature, before clicking "post." I would never post something like what Paul experienced. Even if I felt like saying that, I would simply move to the next post. What's the point of a forum if your replies are "Google is your friend." or "The answer is right in front of you."? I think this is the crux of the problem over at Arch.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            ... What's the point of a forum if your replies are "Google is your friend." or "The answer is right in front of you."? I think this is the crux of the problem over at Arch.
            And at the Ubuntu forum as well. The Mint forum, on the other hand, is not nearly as bad, but there are always a few folks who like to parade their nads in wheelbarrows for all to see. "Google is your friend" is something I've been guilty of writing, but usually after giving a long explanation or a series of replies.

There are some folks who are so low on the technical scale that about the only way to help them is to sit at their keyboard and do it yourself. One of my relatives, who lives 1,500 miles away, took 30 minutes just to figure out how to log in, after I installed Kubuntu and sent his computer back to him. Talking him through that on the phone was a nightmare. That's why I used to use TeamViewer and Skype (with screen sharing). They made fixing their problems a lot easier. Then, when I'd tell him to click the "X" in the upper right corner of the app, and he moved his mouse to the system tray, I could say "No! not there, UPPER RIGHT CORNER! ... That's right ... farther ... farther. farther, now move right. Right there! Your at it! Now click that "X" with your left mouse button." Unfortunately, he is now in the early stages of dementia and does all his Internet stuff using his iPhone, which his wife (my sister) shows him how to do. I'm in the early stages of Sometimers ... sometimes I remember how to do stuff and sometimes I don't If it weren't for Google I'd have no memory at all.
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 20, 2016, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              I'm in the early stages of Sometimers ... sometimes I remember how to do stuff and sometimes I don't If it weren't for Google I'd have no memory at all.
              Move over friend, we're all in that boat sooner or later. I believe I'm sitting right next to you now!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
              X