This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really hate the arch forums

Arch is a great distribution, but the forums are very unfriendly. I have found quite a few answers by searching the forums and wiki. They freeze you out if even mention that you've used another distribution; my last question was just locked, I was told to use the search. I did that before I posted, but didn't find anything that fixed my problem. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1619406. Could I have worded my post any better, or they just a**holes

[Spoiler][Quote]This all started after I issued 'sudo pacman -Syu' & set gnome-screenshot to default to jpg in dconf-editor.* Xorg crashes a few minutes after I log into cinnamon or gnome.* Any ideas?
    Binary nvidia drivers with a 980ti[/quotes][/spoiler]
    Last edited by jpenguin; Apr 11, 2016, 11:51 PM.
    Registered Linux User 545823

I've tried for several minutes to locate our latest thread about how/whether Arch forums appear to be unfriendly, but am unable to find it, probably the latter half of 2015--quite a detailed discussion we had on the topic ... maybe someone can pinpoint it. (As I recall, the consensus was something like (the toned-down version would be) "Yep, it is unfriendly!").
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
      I've tried for several minutes to locate our latest thread about how/whether Arch forums appear to be unfriendly, but am unable to find it, probably the latter half of 2015--quite a detailed discussion we had on the topic ... maybe someone can pinpoint it. (As I recall, the consensus was something like (the toned-down version would be) "Yep, it is unfriendly!").
      I think you're referring to this thread started by Snowhog: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...into-the-water

Post #28 is where it got really interesting: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post384460
      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Yes, Rod J, that's it , and I'm sure it isn't the first such discussion around here.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

jpenguine

I posted a question under my normal nome de plume..................AFTER I had done the WHOLE ARCH THING..................and had a reasonably stable system and

Talk about BRONX CHEERS...........

I, personally, think that the forums are run by "REAL.....OLD GROANERS".....as in Napoleon's "Palace Guard"......they OWN the place......

I went BACK with another e-mail addy AND A DIFFERENT MONIKER... and posted a different question, just for the halibut .............and was similarly shunned...

I could go there about whether something other is going on in terms of "relationships at home" BUT............>I ..............WILL...............>NOT........... lol :0

woodlikeskubuntuforumssmoke

Comment

The ApricityOS forums seem friendly enough though

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
            Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Isn't that part of Arch's apparent success: they drive away folks who have trouble or don't speak their specific jargon?
              While Arch never gave me any problems during installation, even though I disliked Pacman, and it ran just fine, the thought that if I did have problems that forum was the primary place to find solutions led me to discard Arch as a possible alternative. No one has to and should not need to experience a torrent of abuse just to find a solution.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                ...fine, the thought that if I did have problems that forum was the primary place to find solutions led me to discard Arch as a possible alternative.
                No, the primary place for help and solutions to issues with Arch is their wiki pages.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                  No, the primary place for help and solutions to issues with Arch is their wiki pages.
                  So, how do you post a question asking for help on a wiki page, assuming you have edit authority to add to it?

I know what you mean, but your response is typical of that on Arch's forum, which IS a help forum. It assumes the person with the problem hasn't researched the answer before asking for help, and gets chastised. Getting no help they move on.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The ARCH wiki's, while some of the best in Linux, are not comprehensive; nor does each wiki fully settle all questions on all possibilities. You know that if you've ever used them to really drill down deep on some specific issue you are researching. This, perhaps, all contrary to what the ARCH wiki folks would like to believe.

Comment

And, not all the wiki's are up to date or accurate. Wiki's may be the 'place to begin', but they are not the end-all. Arch Forums simply aren't out to hold your hand, even if hand holding is what a poster needs.
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well... I got the cold shoulder at Ubuntu forums, I asked about graphics issues related to using ATI Radeon and told them I wasn't into "brand names" I used Nvidia prior to this card. I got railed as a troll and told I didn't know what I was talking about. But my response was, I normally don't know what I am talking about, this is why I visit forums. I go to specialty forums for answers. I don't find it unusual to bump heads with people when you are not talking to them face to face. They forget humans tend to inflect feeling into auditory responses.

I haven't been on the Arch forum because of not running Arch Linux, I cannot comment on the experience except to compare it to others like ubuntuforums.org and linuxquestions.org which I have received negative feedback and no help from some of the members.

Comment

Yeah, Ubuntu Forums can be quite bad too. I've experienced that once before. Haven't posted since. They aren't worth the effort.

Comment

I've experienced something of the same with Ubuntu Forums in the past myself.

When Ubuntu introduced the Unity desktop I expressed my dissatisfaction with it on the Ubuntu forums (in which I had posted numerous times previously). My criticisms were almost met with derision at that time by the Ubuntu fanboys who all thought that Unity was great.

I switched to Kubuntu and have hardly been back to the Ubuntu forums since, especially since the log on process on that forum is a right royal pain now and seems to refuse to remember me each visit.
                            Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                            Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                              When Ubuntu introduced the Unity desktop I expressed my dissatisfaction with it on the Ubuntu forums (in which I had posted numerous times previously). My criticisms were almost met with derision at that time by the Ubuntu fanboys who all thought that Unity was great.
                              Well I'm sure if someone criticised KDE/Plasma desktop/Plasma5 they would receive the same treatment on these forums.

Comment

Working...
                              X