This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Downside of Linux Popularity

I've just read an interesting article on LinuxInsider about the increase of attacks towards Linux systems and that the experts predict will increase this year.

You'll find the full article here -> http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Th...ity-83158.html

Happy reading.

I've been expecting this for years. The question is; how will the community respond as the frequency of attacks increases?

Security, both server side and client side should be a major concern of anyone who writes commercial code.

So, where do we look for current information and advice on securing our clients systems?
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

That article is nothing more than click-bait.
      "Windows gets all the attention because of its market share, but three-quarters of the vulnerabilities out there are on Linux and Mac machines," he told TechNewsWorld.
      "Thre-quarters"? Pure bovine scatalis. Security teams auditing code and finding holes doesn't mean that such holes are being used. On the contrary, most are patched as quickly as they are discovered, before the hackers have a chance to exploit them. The PRIMARY security hole in Linux, unlike Windows, is the password, and no software patch can fix that hole. Android has a Linux kernel, but it is layered with Google's Java apps and device controls, making it particularly vulnerable, but NOT indicative of any overall Linux distro vulnerability.

Linux IS increasing in popularity, especially after VISTA, Win8 and now Win10, which many describe as pure spyware, and so one can expect attacks on the Linux kernel, utilities and apps to increase, but the hackers are facing the same formidable difficulties as before. A big problem are new Linux users coming to Linux from Windows but still thinking and behaving like careless Windows users. They will fall prey to phishing attacks as easily as before.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        A big problem are new Linux users coming to Linux from Windows but still thinking and behaving like careless Windows users. They will fall prey to phishing attacks as easily as before.
        I agree, the biggest security risk is the end user... Fixing that is probably a lost cause and we who (humbly) try to behave like we know what we are doing, are stuck with increasingly complex needs to firewall our systems.

I much appreciate this forum for the kind of talent that responds to our questions. I never saw that when I worked in the Windows® world.
        Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Working...
        X