This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's finally happening

Just spent the afternoon, and part of the evening, configuring Wine and testing out my mom's old Windows games under it on my computer. Every one of those games run great under Wine once Wine is configured correctly, which is more than I can say about running them on Windows 10. So tomorrow, the last computer in the house - my mom's- will have Windows purged from it and Linux installed, and the only instance of Windows in the entire house will be my Windows 7 VM. Says a lot when Linux, using a compatibility layer, has better backwards compatibility with old Windows games than Windows itself.

BRAVEO!!

BRAVO!!

BRAVO!!

Every once in a while......I STILL get e-mails from people for whom I actually SOLD..............CUSTOMIZED.....as in MODDED computers

upon which I had "installed a Linux".......

in the garage of my former wife...hot, sweaty..... garage sales...."also known as yard sales"....computers.....whho.... a DECADE later....are "just running" their computer.....Windblows people DO NOT EXPECT MUCH...........let them get on the computer, do email, play mahjong with friends and NO MALWARE....and they are HAPPY!!!

BRAVO!!

BRAVO!

BRAVO!!

Theoldwoodsmokercogratulatesyou!
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Mar 04, 2016, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks woodsmoke! It's so nice to be off the Windows train, I feel like I actually have control over my computer again.

Comment

you are a good person!!

woodappreciativesmoke

Comment

Awesome! Well done! And your mom will appreciate not having Bill Gate's fingers in her wallet at every turn!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            Awesome! Well done! And your mom will appreciate not having Bill Gate's fingers in her wallet at every turn!
            Well, it's more like my wallet, she's more appreciative of the fact that she can now run a few games that refused to run on Windows 10.

Comment

LOL
              I'm sure that you know about "gweled"........the only niggle is that it doesn't say..........."Level UP!" in that gruff voice!

I wasted so MANY hours playing that thing, fascinated by the music!

woody

Comment

Originally posted by Cecil View Post
                Just spent the afternoon, and part of the evening, configuring Wine and testing out my mom's old Windows games under it on my computer. Every one of those games run great under Wine once Wine is configured correctly, which is more than I can say about running them on Windows 10.
                If you haven't already, you might want to look for similar games that are native to Linux. That's what I did when I wiped window$ off my mom's computer and put Kubuntu on it. But she didn't play specific brand name games, I mean she didn't play things like, for example, Roller Coaster Tycoon (my favorite game!). She played games like backgammon, mahjongg, and so on, which made it super easy to find Linux replacements. She absolutely LOVED the beautiful GNU Backgammon, and played it a lot. Plus she explored a lot of other games I installed and found quite a few she really enjoyed playing.

So tomorrow, the last computer in the house - my mom's- will have Windows purged from it and Linux installed
                Yes!!

and the only instance of Windows in the entire house will be my Windows 7 VM. Says a lot when Linux, using a compatibility layer, has better backwards compatibility with old Windows games than Windows itself.
                Very telling. VERY telling!
                Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                  If you haven't already, you might want to look for similar games that are native to Linux. That's what I did when I wiped window$ off my mom's computer and put Kubuntu on it. But she didn't play specific brand name games, I mean she didn't play things like, for example, Roller Coaster Tycoon (my favorite game!). She played games like backgammon, mahjongg, and so on, which made it super easy to find Linux replacements. She absolutely LOVED the beautiful GNU Backgammon, and played it a lot. Plus she explored a lot of other games I installed and found quite a few she really enjoyed playing.

Yes!!

Very telling. VERY telling!
                  Unfortunately, most of the games are old Gamehouse/Realarcade games that, while some may have similar Linux versions, aren't similar enough for my mom. gweled doesn't have the modes or the flashy graphics and sound of Bejeweled 2, she has three games in Adventiure Inlay, Puzzle Inlay, and Magic Inlay that I've yet to see a parallel to in Linux, and Zaz isn't close enough to Zuma to suffice.

Comment

I agree that the Linux stuff doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but if it is a purely online game she can still do it and not have all the malware IF she elects to not "add the wonderful toolbars"...lol

anyway LOTSA fun!

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                    X