This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LAPTOP] A Kubuntu Success Story

Last week Brenda came into work with her old Windows Vista HP Laptop. She said the fan was making noise and wouldn't stay running a long time. Dr. Frank Tremblay and I were looking it over and discovered, it was not the fan but the HDD grinding. (O.O) Frank pulled the HDD and told her she can buy a new one on payday, they only run about $50. Meanwhile she needed to get files off the old HDD so we popped it into one of the Debian Linux boxes here at the office.

Meanwhile at lunch, I went home and remembered I had my older broken PS3 with a 60GB HDD in the closet. I grabbed it and my CD of Kubuntu 14.04 and headed back to work. At the clinic, I installed the Linux to her temporary HDD and Frank transferred her files via a thumb drive. She was very happy. She hasn't bought a new HDD just yet, but I told her I would be happy to help with that too. Her old one is only a 250 GB I explained they now sell 1000GB (called Terrabyte drives) for about $50.

Two nerdy doctors, one old PS3, and Kubuntu saves the day! (^.^)

Hi Simon. You've mentioned it before, and mentioned it today, so since you did, may I ask what kind of doctoring you guys are doing at your clinic? NOMB, just curious about what people around here do.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

nice story ,,,,,,,and good thinking.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Frank is the phlebotomist (blood doctor) and I am the geneticist at the Lester B. Pearson, Cancer Clinic. We specialize in the non-evasive treatment of cancers through cell and gene therapy. I earned my Ph.D in genetics from the University of Canada. I was born in London, Canada as Satoshi of Japanese parents. Early on, in grade school, a girl asked my name and couldn’t pronounce it. She proceeded to call me Simon. The nickname stuck, so against my father’s wishes, I had it legally changed to Simon Tomoko when I was 17 years old.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008784366798

Comment

... and more interesting story! Sounds like interesting work. Thanks, Simon.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Great story and thank you both for your contributions to the health and welfare of us humans and your "name" story gave me a good laugh on a rainy, gloomy day.
            Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
            HP15 -
            -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Awesome, Simon! It's nice to put a face and bio next to a name. Your pencil is a lot sharper than most of the others in the box of life!
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Simon, thanks for the personal touches, much appreciated!

Comment

Thanks for the support, I don't know where I would be with my OS without all of you as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X