Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps. They still could be using Wordpress and just added a phpBB plugin to switch from wordpress's form software to phpBB's but considering how porous Wordpress has been one would have to ask why? The hackers broke into the servers to hack the ISO, not the forum, and found the MySQL database containing user names and passwords. PhpBB can operate as a forum/blogging website without Wordpress. One thing is for sure: the new forum software is a lot prettier and easier to use than the old one. But, not as good as vBulletin, which is what Kubuntuforums.net uses, IMO.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, one good thing came about the hack; it finally prompted me to install Lastpass and generate unique passwords for every online account I have. Only took three or four sites sites getting hacked over the last few years to get me to do that. At least I've long been making strong passwords that can't be guessed easily.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Perhaps. They still could be using Wordpress and just added a phpBB plugin to switch from wordpress's form software to phpBB's but considering how porous Wordpress has been one would have to ask why? The hackers broke into the servers to hack the ISO, not the forum, and found the MySQL database containing user names and passwords. PhpBB can operate as a forum/blogging website without Wordpress. One thing is for sure: the new forum software is a lot prettier and easier to use than the old one. But, not as good as vBulletin, which is what Kubuntuforums.net uses, IMO.
        Mint's website was using wordpress for at least the blog part since 2007 or so, and phpbb for the forum at least since 2006. I can't tell if the static pages are wordpress or not, it used to be a joomla cms site very early on.

phpbb is OK, as far as I recall, in terms of setting up and maintaining. I can't remember theming. Vb is very complicated admin-wise, or rather it can be, if desired imo.

Wordpress can't be beat for use as a blog or even as a general website platform, while Forum software is not as good at being the main front face for a website that offers more than just support - and wants to look pretty. Some big places use WP, even kubuntu.org does. Being the biggest platform, it is also the biggest target for those who like to poke holes in things, so yeah there are vulnerabilities but also very regular updates to this open-source software. Plugins of course can be an issue, but most of the well used and popular ones seem to be regularly updated as well. All php based software is porous, imo, which includes most all blogging stuff as well as forum software, including vBulletin. The hacker got access to the mysql database which is a separate thing from the WP stuff. Poor setup and maintenance of the infrastructure is what allowed this. They probably need to have different services on different servers (which I think they are working on doing)

iana-haX0r and iana-IT-guy though
        I also like to ramble in a disjointed fashion
        Last edited by claydoh; Feb 25, 2016, 09:38 PM. Reason: Eye Kant spele

Comment

As I have no experience in Wordpress, blogging or blogging software I'll defer to your experience.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X