This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women write better code, study suggests

Just found this quite interesting article on women in the IT industry.

Computer code written by women has a higher approval rating than that written by men - but only if their gender is not identifiable, new research suggests.
    For the full article, it's here -> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35559439

Whether political correct or not, women and men are wired differently.

The man is the hunter who selects a prey or goal and goes straight to it, sometimes ignoring other worth while prey.
    A woman is a gatherer roaming in different places for anything useful and is not afraid to change her mind mid way.

So if this means their wiring is more suited for (complex?) programming the more power to them.

That last sentence sucks royally and it will ultimately cost us all: but only if their gender is not identifiable

Comment

Hi
      Nice linky.
      I ran across that on my phone and was considering posting it myself.
      I also e-mailed it to my classes because there is actually a FEMALE coder in one of them. Don't know as she will do Linux, it is all about the web nowadays but....can't hoit! as Moe usedta say!

woodsmoke

Comment

:Facepalm:
        Resurrecting an old gender bias argument with equally old and questionable "research" techniques that "suggests" an equally old and discredited conclusion. It reeks of AGW research techniques - a conclusion cherry-picking data to justify itself.

No peer review. No replication. And AGW researchers favorite ploy - keeping the raw data secret, making peer review by any other researchers, except by cronies, impossible. Honest researchers publish their raw data with their paper precisely to support peer review and encourage replication, or ferret out errors.

I am not surprised, however, because colleges and universities are hotbeds of PC enforced by gangs of SJW's with the support of Marxist faculty members who think nothing of calling for "muscle" to strong arm student journalists away from their activities on the public commons, an obvious violation of the 1st Amendment.

Fourty five years ago I was teaching science, math and programming at a rural high school, and I taught BASIC to highschool teachers for college credit through the University of Nebraska at Kearny. Gonads were NOT a prerequisite for enrollment, but interest and curiosity was. The hardest sells were the girls/women, unless they already had a love for math and science. Then it was easy.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the article said that the data was collected from GitHub on April 1st, 2015, so I am wondering if it is a prank. That wouldn't be a date I would use to collect meta data about gender inequality.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Feb 21, 2016, 05:50 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

However the team was able to identify whether roughly 1.4m were male or female - either because it was clear from the users' profiles or because their email addresses could be matched with the Google + social network.
          So if the "researches" were able to identify the gender, then why wouldn't the project maintainer be able to identify their gender by the same means? Whenever I get a pull request from someone, I often google their email address, look at their profile, etc. Just out of curiosity. This so-called "research" smells of SJW agenda pushing...

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            I forgot to add that the article said that the data was collected from GitHub on April 1st, 2015, so I am wondering if it is a prank. That wouldn't be a date I would use to collect meta data about gender inequality.
            My TEN POUND daughter was born on April 1st! Can you say NOT FUNNY April Fool's Day prank?!
            Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Ouch!
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                Ouch!
                Indeed. But it's given me a LIFETIME of being able to prank her whenever I feel like it. I figured that was a small price to pay, considering what I went through!
                Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

That sounds like fun!

Comment

It is.

My very favorite prank was on Christmas, the year Apple's original iMac came out, the Bondi Blue one. She had come home for the holidays. I had recently bought a new PC, and knowing the prank I was going to play on her I'd kept its big box. I bought an iMac and put its box inside the PC's box. When it was time to give her her presents, she started unwrapping the big box and seeing the PC's picture and everything. I started this whole spiel about, look, I know you're an Apple person, but this PC is really good and I'll show you how to use it, it'll be a piece of cake, blah blah blah... She was asking questions about using it, as she continued opening the box. And then her eyes POPPED OUT as she saw the iMac's box. I reminded her that I get to prank her WHENEVER I want. (Of course, as pranks go, this was a really NICE one.)

Comment

Can you prank me? Pretty please!

Comment

Of course, dear. What would you like?

Comment

Working...
                        X