X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debian founder Ian Murdoch dead at 42.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...42/?comments=1

His suicide is suspicious. It followed a violent police contact. Unusual for such a humble man.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Oh, so sad, and he was only 42.

Reading that article it explained the origin of the name Debian: "The distribution gets its name from the combination of his name and that of his then-girlfriend Deborah Lynn." I don't know why but I never wondered about the origin of the name before. Interesting read.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Tragic, yes. Probably not the most tragic event the human species has ever witnessed and recorded. These things are always shocking and puzzling. The police encounter is suspicious, it would make anyone feel violated; but I would think doubtful as the main trigger for his exiting decision. I hope someone is investigating all this.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

It is certainly very tragic for someone so brilliant and full of potential to die so young. He was very dedicated and contributed so much to the open source movement. Perhaps he was also a very sensitive person and easily hurt. I found the report on Wikipedia very balance and gave a useful summary of his life and death. Hopefully, from all this, very creative people will be treated with more respect and understanding.

Comment

Working...
        X