Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

for teachers considering using socratic method / didactic remote printing smartphone

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for teachers considering using socratic method / didactic remote printing smartphone

Ahem, yes I KNOW that the terms are not equivalent and that the emphasis on the syllable was originally for "politics and philosophy" etc.

By definition the method is rather serendipitious.

I walk into the classroom with a general outline of what I want "to cover" but things often go haywire so a "step by step" syllabus delicti is rather useless

AND IT SCARES The normal, run of the mill, professor............after all the "professor" is there to "profess" her, or his, infinite knowledge for the empty vessels.

We have all seen it, the subheaded overhead projection with each jot and tittle anally retentively obsessed over for hours each day in the office with no lights and the windows shuttered, the professor hunched over the obligatory MAC, staring into the screen. Now anally retentively converted to an "impress" that is projected from the single eyed beast hanging from the ceiling.

Enter the smartphone and "bluetooth/wifi printing".

As each topic is "covered" in the class, I make a note of it on the whiteboard.

Sometimes I actually expand on what they developed........woah!!

All of that is recorded on the whiteboard.

At the end of class I take images of the information, linearly by time with my smartphone.

Later, at the apartment, I remotely print the pictures to my HP6600 printer.

I punch holes in the pages and insert them in my "gradebook" behind the sign in sheet for that day.

A complete record of what transpired in the class.

This has been done for six semesters now, and the coverage may wander within the topic, but, surprisingly, all three years, the students and I have interacted to produce a sum that is greater than it's parts for all three years.

Hey..........try it........you might like it!

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Nov 21, 2015, 07:32 PM.

Super, Woodsmoke!

During my days as a High School principle I observed two kinds of teachers: those who "cover" the subject matter and those who uncover it.
    The former was often plagued with discipline problems and had a set of rules they tried to control the class with. Most of the time they taught to the lowest level, because they barely knew the subject matter themselves, and most of the kids wer bored. The latter rarely had discipline problems and inspired the kids.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

aaaawwww digging my toe in the ground... thank you!

woodthanksyousmoke

Comment

Working...
      X