X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pointless but awesome linux terminal tricks

Just for fun

http://www.itworld.com/article/2927295/linux/11-pointless-but-awesome-linux-terminal-tricks.html
    Last edited by vsreeser; Nov 14, 2015, 05:47 PM.

Hi vsreeser,

Your link is broken. This works: http://www.itworld.com/article/29272...al-tricks.html

Number three really cracked me up! Nice Easter egg, developers!
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I actually use #6 in that list ,,,,,,,but also pipe it through lolcat like "fortune -o | cowsay -f tux | lolcat" ,,,,,,I have this line in the end of my .bashrc so whenever I open a terminal it displays a offensive fortune (-o) being "said" by tux (-f tux) in rainbow colours (lolcat) .

the cmatrix and the aptitude ones were the only ones I did not know about ,,,,,,,,and cmatrix is a nice one ,

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I really enjoyed cmatrix too!

Now for a game of "Linux chicken"... go into a public place, run cmatrix -Bs and see how long you last!
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
          I really enjoyed cmatrix too!

Now for a game of "Linux chicken"... go into a public place, run cmatrix -Bs and see how long you last!
          ? ,,,,what exactly do you mean.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I mean that public understanding of computers is so bad that someone is likely to run screaming about "hacking", and you're likely to find yourself answering some awkward questions!

Kind of like Steve's "cat the Linux kernel source in a public place" game
            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

And there's Hollywood
              If you're sitting wondering,
              Which Batman is the best,
              There's only one true answer my friend,
              It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Add one more v to number 4 and it'll tell you what the picture is

Comment

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
                  And there's Hollywood
                  The terrible ASCII art is killing me... was that a unicorn?!
                  samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

BTW, Mr Robot is the most realistic representation of hacking on a film/TV series I've ever seen.

Everything is quite plausible (apart from the timescales)... until this happens:

So I see you're running GNOME... You know, I'm actually on KDE myself, I know this desktop environment [gnome] is supposed to be better, but, you know what they say, old habits, they die hard.
                    ...should have done just a little bit more homework!
                    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

The terrible ASCII art is killing me... was that a unicorn?!
                      No idea but I bet you get arrested running it at say... Heathrow

BTW, Mr Robot is the most realistic representation of hacking on a film/TV series I've ever seen.

Everything is quite plausible (apart from the timescales)... until this happens:

...should have done just a little bit more homework!
                      From the trailers it looks extremely good but I kind of like my TV hacking to be like NCIS; funny.
                      If you're sitting wondering,
                      Which Batman is the best,
                      There's only one true answer my friend,
                      It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
                        No idea but I bet you get arrested running it at say... Heathrow

From the trailers it looks extremely good but I kind of like my TV hacking to be like NCIS; funny.
                        Some things on CSI:Cyber are plausible. Others make me laugh

Comment

Working...
                        X