Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suspect they might have a lot more testers if they would fix Ubiquity or just switch to Calamares already, geeze...

Please Read Me

Comment

Well, finally got it to install. Using the 01-28-2016 daily ISO, I found this solution on launchpad and sightly modified it. Grab the 01-28 ISO if you want to try it out.Boot to the Live Image, then before launching the installer, open a terminal and enter this one one-liner:
      Code:
      sudo sed -i '344 s/^/#/; 347 s/^/#/; 348 s/^/#/' /usr/lib/ubiquity/plugins/ubi-prepare.py
      This fixes a secure boot key error when trying to install to a Vbox machine. I don't know if you need it for a bare metal install.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        I suspect they might have a lot more testers if they would fix Ubiquity or just switch to Calamares already, geeze...
        I like your sense of humour. My understanding is that Calamares is the plural of calamari which is squid served as food. So enjoy your calamari as you test Xenial.

Comment

Calamares: https://calamares.io/about/
          KDE Visual Design Group/Calamares Design Project: https://community.kde.org/KDE_Visual...Design_Project
          Kubuntu forums - Introducing a new graphical installer: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ical-installer
          Last edited by LinkBot; Jan 29, 2016, 10:56 AM.
          Try Me !

Comment

I can't remember the last time there was a release when Ubiquity worked at the alpha/beta stage. I even skipped 10.10 because could never get it to work even after the full release. Besides, I really like the idea of a uniform installer that all distros can use. While our distros use different display managers, desktop environments, packaging systems, etc. they all still need a way for the user to get all that onto the hard drive. So why not have one installer we are all familiar with that we can use from any distro? I think distro independence might make it more stable while easing the workload to distro makers. They would need only comply with a set of requirements from the Calamares team and not have to write their own.

Please Read Me

Comment

Do we remember the text based installers ,,,,,,,,,,,just what was wrong with that .

Aaaaaa the good old days ,,,,,

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

O on a side note ,,,,,,,for the past 3-4 weeks my Xenial net upgraded from 15.10 was telling me a lot of KDE was going to be removed whenever I did my usual "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" .

after seeing this a few times and aborting I quit thinking it was just a bad set of packages in the repo and would get fixed soon and started investigating .

it turned out that the wily backports wear still being read from ,,sources.list.d ,,,,,,,,,,

I spent some time getting it sorted but in the end I think I am back on track ........

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by LinkBot View Post
                  Calamares: https://calamares.io/about/
                  KDE Visual Design Group/Calamares Design Project: https://community.kde.org/KDE_Visual...Design_Project
                  Kubuntu forums - Introducing a new graphical installer: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ical-installer
                  Thanks for the references as I had also come across them when oshunluvr mentioned calamares. I guess its operation is similar to calamari in that each one is slightly different but are all combined on the same plate.

It will be handy for different distributions to have a common installer. It will be interesting to see how many distributions adopt it including SABDFL's favourite?
                  Last edited by NoWorries; Jan 29, 2016, 05:53 PM.

Comment

For some time now I have been surprised how Wily had KDE Plasma 5.5.3 but Xenial had the previous version. Then there was the announcement by Jonathan Riddell about the KDE Neon project and its development. Currently it is only available for testing on Wily so I assume some of the effort on Xenial is directed towards getting KDE neon developed for it.

The guide for install KDE neon on Wily is found here. So I decided to see how how well it worked on Xenial. I followed the Wily installation procedure, and then used Muon Package Manager to change the software source for KDE Neon from Xenial to Wily.

After doing 236 package updates and 4 new installations, the system booted with KDE Plasma Version 5.5.90.

After using this system for a couple of days, the problems that I have had to deal with are:
                    1. Libreoffice Calc wouldn't launch from the menu and I had to make a new entry for it to work.
                    2. Whenever I do sudo apt update; sudo apt full-upgrade, the plasma desktop crashes partway through the process, but recovers quickly.
                    3. Every time I boot, Kate is launched.

Considering that I only have to deal with these problems, I am glad that I did not break Xenial by doing the above changes. I hope that it is not long before KDE Neon is ported to Xenial and I now check every now and then to see if it is available by changing the software source for http://archive.neon.kde.org.uk/unstable from Wily to Xenial.

Comment

Just note that the KDE stuff in neon is for the moment only providing the daily git stuff, and not actual release material, just like the kubuntu-ci stuff so there will be warts. Once things get settled and probably closer to or just after 16.04 is released, neon will use the Ubuntu LTS base and offer normal official KDE release stuff as well as the developer crack.

As an OT side note, NoWorries, I am invading your nation the 19th of march, so hide your redheads and guard your drop-bears

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                        As an OT side note, NoWorries, I am invading your nation the 19th of march, so hide your redheads and guard your drop-bears
                        Enjoy your trip. . . redheads and drop-bears are in short supply down here.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                          Enjoy your trip. . . redheads and drop-bears are in short supply down here.
                          Lol, well I was smart lucky and requested a redhead ahead of time had one redhead select me.

Comment

I have downloaded 16.04 daily build so many times is not fun,latest was today 02/10/2016 I am using the dd method to write to my usb, I can use the distro as a live mode but there is no way it will install, Installer Crashed all the time, any ideas?

Comment

To update the iso, use zsync to save on download times. Also, there often is an option available to update the installer at the beginnig of the installation process, if there is one available.

Also, there is a workaround:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1529450
                              Specifically oshunluvr's here:
                              https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...50/comments/15
                              It works on the latest isos as far as I can tell.

Comment

Hi Newbee here. I found two issues after upgrading to xenial.
                                1. clock is showing random times after reboot. Adjusting the time or adjusting the time-zones did not yield any result.
                                2. I have 12GB ram; but 'KInfocenter' is showing only 3.8GB RAM on the first screen. When I click the 'Memory' tab, it is showing correctly as 12 GB.

I found rolling back the updates is very complicated and always not accurate. So tomorrow, I will format my machine and re-install 15.10 stable.

My suggestion: for distros under development [like xenial] there should be one button somewhere, to revert back to previously installed, working version.
                                My 2c
                                Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X