Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which way should the free as in beer version of Kubuntu go?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] Which way should the free as in beer version of Kubuntu go?

This is not intended to start a flame war it is merely something that has occurred to me, in the wake of the Riddle Affair.

I, and others, have posted various comments about "how well" KDE apps, such as Amarok, or Calligra, or Kontact, etc. work.

Others have stated flat out that they will use NOTHING but free as in free however you want it software.

Others have said that they use VLC or another e-mail system or whatever.

So the overarching poll is ...........in terms of Kubuntu "going forward" ( I, personally detest that terminology) should the distro use:

a) only pure KDE only apps and people can download what they want.
    b) what works
    c) a mix.
    Only pure KDE apps, since people can d/l what they want from the repos.
    20.00%
    What works forget from whence it came.
    30.00%
    a mix of 1 and 2 possibly determined IN PART by "the community"(whatever that means)
    50.00%

I dont really understand. Are you implying that only KDE apps are free as in free? There are thousands of non-KDE apps that are totally free and open-source.

Comment

while i prefer kde to any other dm, i cannot say i like every app
      so i say a mix
      Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

I also don't fully understand you

Kubuntu's goal is to highlight KDE: be KDE-only, as much as is possible while keeping it a well-rounded general purpose distro that keeps its install image to about a gig in size.

If we change and mix it up, we are just another Netrunner or Mint-KDE (yes, I know that these are modified Kubuntus)

The only non-kde-based things we have are Firefox and Libreoffice.
        Firefox is a no-brainer, as what KDE based alternatives are stable and usable?
        Libreoffice is there mainly because it is superior to Calligra, and that is mostly because Calligra cannot save to other file formats.

I don't foresee any real changes to the default Kubuntu desktop software choices at the moment.

Comment

while i generally would like to have mostly KDE software there are somethings that are not the best from KDE . things like Firefox and LO should really be in the default image . i would even pick VLC over dragon (but dragon works for my needs just fine too).
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I remain aloof

OTHERS SHOULD TICK A BUTTON...........duuh............at least that!? ummm give the developers a break!!!

woodthereshouldbemorevotessmoke

Comment

I actually use MATE nowdays. Have always used palemoon, libreoffice, VLC, GIMP...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
              Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

I had to vote #1 ,,,,as Kubuntu is the KDE showcase ,,,,,,,any thing else I need is redly available with a
                Code:
                sudo apt install package-foo
                VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                X