• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American tourist's list of observations about small-town Britain

Oh this made me laugh.

http://i100.independent.co.uk/articl..._campaign=i100

This one is very true:

Pubs are not bars, they are community living rooms.
    You can often tell how tightly knit a community is by how busy the pubs are. Small village with three pubs doing good trade? It's going to be a nice place to live.
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Nice list!
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
        That is hilarious!

Comment

Brilliant
          I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

That's why I love living in America. Lot's of room on the roads, big fridge, modern electricity, and if I'm hungry, I can grab one of my many guns, walk onto my huge backyard, and shoot something for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by charles052 View Post
              and if I'm hungry, I can grab one of my many guns, walk onto my huge backyard, and shoot something for dinner.
              I really can't tell if you're being serious or not
              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone
                Modern Electricity? What do you think we have over here, electricity from the 19th century?
                [This line deleted by Administrator; content inappropriate.]
                Modern electricty: that which is from renewable resources, not carbon or nuclear. It has been estimated that within 15 years over 30% will be from, in the US, Solar power farms. (See Solar Power Tower II)

Get dinner from the back yard with a firearm? (And bow and pole) No joke.
                My back door was 350 meters of farm and woodlands next to the Platte River. I frequently took a shotgun and three shells and come back with three pheasants, or a rifle to get a deer, or a pole to get a string of Bass. And that was in central Nebraska. In most of the west, south east, Texas and Alaska I suspect it will be a lot easier. I.e., right from the back porch.

Your news media has a slanted agenda. There is no "war" on Black people here There are 750,000 law officers in the US and only about 500 are involved in deaths while in police custody. Of those roughly 60% are Black and most of the remaining are White. The large majority of Black homicdes are at the hands of other Blacks. Ditto for Whites. The FBI has the data.
                https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...#disablemobile
                Last edited by Snowhog; Oct 18, 2015, 06:08 PM.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone
                  [This line deleted by Administrator; content inappropriate.]
                  WTF ,,,,,,how did you descend to cannibalism .

nothing wrong with adding a deer or turkey or pheasant to the freezer ?

VINNY
                  Last edited by Snowhog; Oct 18, 2015, 06:09 PM.
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                    WTF ,,,,,,how did you descend to cannibalism .

nothing wrong with adding a deer or turkey or pheasant to the freezer ?

VINNY
                    Or squirrel. They have those in the UK too, I hear.

(May be NSFW for some)

Comment

Why eat squirrels when you can teach them to waterski and make millions?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2xxKwesCKJk
                      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I remember the first time I ate squirrel. I was around 12 or so. I shot it with my 5mm air rifle.
                        I gutted it, skinned it and put it on a spit over an open camp fire. I rotated the spit for 30 or so minutes.
                        I had no real clue about how to cook game but when I thought it was cooked I carved off a piece and began chewing on it.
                        It tasted like leather and chewed like leather. Was it tough. I should have eaten the spit and thrown the squirrel out.
                        That was the last time I ate squirrel.
                        If I had to I'd eat it again, but I'd use oils and spices and cook it wrapped in aluminum foil to retain the moisture.
                        I've learned a lot about cooking since I started taking care of my wife eleven months ago.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                        X