This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Something weird in SeaMonkey mail/newsgroups

No idea where to post this--mods please feel free to work your magic as you see fit!

I recently noticed something odd when sending mail or newsgroup messages in SeaMonkey. What happens is that every time I START a new paragraph with the word "From", the 'sent' version [not the version I see while I'm still composing it, but when I look at it after it's been sent] puts a space in front of it: " From"

I've ONLY noticed it with the word "From."

Any ideas why it's doing this? (It's definitely not a big deal. Just one of those "makes you scratch your head and wonder" things. )
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
    No idea where to post this--mods please feel free to work your magic as you see fit!

I recently noticed something odd when sending mail or newsgroup messages in SeaMonkey. What happens is that every time I START a new paragraph with the word "From", the 'sent' version [not the version I see while I'm still composing it, but when I look at it after it's been sent] puts a space in front of it: " From"

I've ONLY noticed it with the word "From"

Any ideas why it's doing this? (It's definitely not a big deal. Just one of those "makes you scratch your head and wonder" things. )
    This is an artifact from the processing email headers. As I recall, SMTP requires that a line beginning with "From:" exists in the header lines. Many very cautious applications, when composing the body of emails, will "prepend" a character in front of a line that begins with "From". Sometimes it is ">From", in your case it's " From". All so that SMTP parsers will not be confused about encountering a line beginning with "From" in the body of a message.

My suggestion: rephrase your sentences in emails so that lines do not begin with "From", or, use a different tool.

Comment

Originally posted by andystmartin View Post
      This is an artifact from the processing email headers. As I recall, SMTP requires that a line beginning with "From:" exists in the header lines. Many very cautious applications, when composing the body of emails, will "prepend" a character in front of a line that begins with "From". Sometimes it is ">From", in your case it's " From". All so that SMTP parsers will not be confused about encountering a line beginning with "From" in the body of a message.
      Thanks for that. Makes perfect sense.

My suggestion: rephrase your sentences in emails so that lines do not begin with "From", or, use a different tool.
      I've used SM for mail since back when it used smoke signals. So I won't be changing to anything else any time soon. But I'll work on not starting paragraphs with "From" from now on...or not, as I'll most likely forget! No big deal, though, so it's all good.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
      X