This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy birthday to Linux

It has turned 24 today with a remarkable lack of fanfare. Maybe it is being saved for big 25.
    If you're sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

Na, when one gets old one birthday is just like the next. You pretty well ignore them unless some makes a fuss.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      Na, when one gets old one birthday is just like the next. You pretty well ignore them unless some makes a fuss.
      Yeah, true that!
      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I tell people I am an apostate from the birthday religion. Because, a religion is what it is, complete with rituals and observances one must at least pay token submission or risk social condemnation. Sure, for children, it's ok, but otherwise for adults it's stupid.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Well ain't we a bunch of miserable old gits (yes I'm the same about my birthday) but 24 years!

Think about 1991, what you were doing, how much the world has changed and how much of that change has been made possible by the Linux kernel and associated free software projects. I'm going to guess that you'll secretly hope it has many more birthdays.

Incidentally, if anyone can remember what I was doing in the 1990s, please don't tell me as I'm sure it would be horribly embarrassing and I'm not sure I want to remember.
          If you're sitting wondering,
          Which Batman is the best,
          There's only one true answer my friend,
          It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

All the smart people around here, and no one gets it. Your birthday: an (or another) excuse to get a (or another ) pizza/lasagna/BIG-burrito/green-chile-cheeseburger/sweets/whatever you like, without guilt or hesitation. I'm speaking of anyone over 50 now, a time when anything you eat that is not at least 90% water content will end up somehow, somewhere, in fat tissue, usually under the belt. And the better it tastes, the higher the probability it ends up as fat tissue.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I resemble that remark!

PS - is anyone else seeing icons in the subscript position?
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                All the smart people around here, and no one gets it. Your birthday: an (or another) excuse to get a (or another ) pizza/lasagna/BIG-burrito/green-chile-cheeseburger/sweets/whatever you like, without guilt or hesitation. I'm speaking of anyone over 50 now, a time when anything you eat that is not at least 90% water content will end up somehow, somewhere, in fat tissue, usually under the belt. And the better it tastes, the higher the probability it ends up as fat tissue.
                That actually starts mid to late 40's!

Comment

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
                  Well ain't we a bunch of miserable old gits (yes I'm the same about my birthday) but 24 years!

Think about 1991, what you were doing, how much the world has changed and how much of that change has been made possible by the Linux kernel and associated free software projects. I'm going to guess that you'll secretly hope it has many more birthdays.

Incidentally, if anyone can remember what I was doing in the 1990s, please don't tell me as I'm sure it would be horribly embarrassing and I'm not sure I want to remember.
                  Happy birthday. Man, you're right. I was transitioning from Unix to Windows (work-no choice) and targeting / killing SCUDS. Though I was only a usr, Unix was great.
                  Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
                  HP15 -
                  -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Working...
                  X