This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
    Honestly, I don't think any company will suffer tremendous losses simply due to their owners' stances on certain issues. In my opinion, which is not based on any scientific data, such as actual statistics, I think that consumers, for the most part, are clueless when it comes to who's behind the companies they patronize. Think of millions of Americans every day rushing around to grab something to eat on their lunch breaks, and there's a Domino's Pizza or Chick-fil-a right there, how many of them actually know anything about the owners? Probably a small handful.
    I think you are right. Most people don't care about the things that those on the far right or left think are important.

.... The strange thing about that is--and this is yet another random guess on my part!--wouldn't it seem that MOST businesses in the US are owned by Christians? After all, Christianity is, by far, the most prevalent religion in this country, right? I consider myself a Christian...but I'm not a CHRISTIAN, as in ultra-conservative, you know, the 'bad' connotation that goes along with some Christians.
    While a large majority of Americans still call themselves Christians most attend church only on Christmas, Easter and for births, confirmations and funerals, and even that is fading. Most couldn't answer simple questions about what the Bible says or identify biblical characters. Membership in major denominations has fallen precipitously, with former members establishing "community" churches that do not have nation governing boards. Unfortunately many of those who claim to be fundamentalists have reversed Christ's admonition to be as wise as serpents but harmless as doves, and they throw their money at bogus "healers", who laugh behind their back all the way to the bank.

England used to be a "Christian" nation but now less that 5% attend church regularly, and most church buildings have been closed or converted to public or private facilities or torn down. Only the big Anglican cathedrals remain, because they are historical monuments, and the clergy are paid by the state, but they, too, are declining in number. The hay day of Christianity in developed countries has passed and is peaking out in under developed countries. Jesus himself asked a rhetorical question "However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?", suggesting that he might not. One thing is for sure, IF ISIS gains a foothold in a country the citizens of that country will "find religion" very quickly.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      I think you are right. Most people don't care about the things that those on the far right or left think are important.
      Exactly. I'm guessing most Average Joes/Janes know nothing about the people behind the companies they do business with, although it's possible they WOULD be interested if they learned a little about them. I no longer consider myself to be 'far left'--I've mellowed a lot with age...something my elders predicted would happen...but, of course, I summarily dismissed that as so much nonsense! Oh, I'm definitely still on the left-leaning side in general, but I pride myself on being open to all views/opinions/thoughts, and I pick and choose beliefs/issues based on MY OWN THINKING about them, not what anyone else feeds me. I often totally baffle people because I can't be pigeon-holed! My best friend is a lifelong Republican, a church-going Catholic (although she's been married more than once--which I've, of course, taken her to task over! ), and I'm a lifelong Democrat who hasn't been to church in 4 decades. We get along great. We're both open to hearing each other's thoughts on ANYTHING and EVERYTHING, and we actually agree on a surprisingly large number of issues.

While a large majority of Americans still call themselves Christians most attend church only on Christmas, Easter and for births, confirmations and funerals, and even that is fading. Most couldn't answer simple questions about what the Bible says or identify biblical characters.
      I'm afraid I'm in the group who wouldn't be able to answer that type of questions. However, I've recently reconnected with the church I grew up in. It's a long story, but it started when I wanted to donate my mom's organ (the musical instrument variety, not a kidney!). She's been gone for two years now, and I'm slowly starting to think of this house as mine, and feeling better about making changes that make it more me and less Mom. I don't play the organ, don't particularly like organ music, and will never use it. I wanted to find a place that would actually USE it for its intended purpose, and not just turn around and sell it. Then one day I had a light bulb moment: my old church! My maternal grandparents were instrumental in its early days, and my family has history with it. So I looked up their number and called. I talked to the church secretary, just some random person I ended up talking to. Guess what? When I told her my family name...SHE KNEW THEM. She sang at my parents' wedding when she was a teenager. Her mother and my grandmother were close friends. She's since come over to my house and we've gotten to know each other a bit. I've told her that even though I haven't set foot in the church since my teens, I now have a strong pull...something's just pulling me toward getting re-involved, re-acquainted, and she's been very gracious and kind. My cousin, my niece, and I are planning to go one Sunday, and I'll call the woman from the church ahead so we can hook up when we get there. It'll be nice knowing someone there after all these years.

Membership in major denominations has fallen precipitously, with former members establishing "community" churches that do not have nation governing boards. Unfortunately many of those who claim to be fundamentalists have reversed Christ's admonition to be as wise as serpents but harmless as doves, and they throw their money at bogus "healers", who laugh behind their back all the way to the bank.
      Laugh indeed. But I can't help but wonder how people CONTINUE to fall for this crap.

PS We've totally derailed this thread! Its original subject was Amazon...seems like a million years ago.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

DYK: PS We've totally derailed this thread! Its original subject was Amazon...seems like a million years ago.
        Last time I checked, it said Social/Casual Talk. I'd say this has been social and casual!
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Wait--shocking that I, as a customer, love Amazon? Or shocking about the nasty stuff that's come to light about Amazon's employees?
          The latter.
          Please don't lump all states together when thinking of employers in the US! Here in California those practices would also be illegal.
          I'm very glad to hear it. Basically, employers have a duty to make their workplaces safe, and in particular free from workplace bullying; making people cry comes under that, if there's a pattern. Pressuring people to work too hard has demonstrably negative effects on health, and so is unsafe. However, IANAL, but I think the test in law is what a "reasonable employer" would consider "fair", so depends on society's views.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
            Last time I checked, it said Social/Casual Talk. I'd say this has been social and casual!
            Thanks, and I agree!
            Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
              The latter.
              Whew.

I'm very glad to hear it. Basically, employers have a duty to make their workplaces safe, and in particular free from workplace bullying; making people cry comes under that, if there's a pattern. Pressuring people to work too hard has demonstrably negative effects on health, and so is unsafe. However, IANAL, but I think the test in law is what a "reasonable employer" would consider "fair", so depends on society's views.
              Yeah, things vary a great deal from state to state. I should know--I spent the brunt of my working life in Texas, and often WISHED for the socially-aware laws we have here in California. (And now that I've been back home for nine years, I can't work. Stupid health problems. Oh well.)

Comment

Working...
              X