This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will you install Windows 10?

With the release of Windows 10 immanent will you be installing it?
    I plan to replace Kubuntu and use Windows exclusively
    0.00%
    I plan to duel boot Windows 10 and Kubuntu
    24.14%
    I'm staying with Kubuntu, never going back to Windows ever!
    75.86%

The poll is expired.

No I will not, I only run free software at my home. I have tried and I did like Windows 10!

Comment

I cant imagine going back to Windows again. If I did anything other than Linux, it would be Apple. I dont necessarily like Apple, but a Mac would meet my needs far better than Windows.

Comment

for myself, no; ...a Linux drive-by just wanting 10 to run as trouble-and-maintenance free as possible for the spousal unit on her ASUS laptop ... Thus, as the maintainer, I will learn the ins-and-outs but not use it for myself.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

My laptop came with windows 8 which I hardly ever use it except keeping it up to date. I plan to upgrade it to Win 10 just for the fun of it, since it comes free. The laptop is set up as multi boot system using grub. I have both kubuntu and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on it and mainly use Kubuntu as my main work OS.
          I will wait a while before upgrading to Win 10 though to find out and make sure that upgrade will not mess up with my grub system.

Comment

From my point of view, it is a "no brainer". I started using Linux when they dropped XP for Vista and tried too hard to sell us on the "New Coke" of Windows. That was a long time ago. As I showed Linux to my friends at the University and my co-workers, they adopted it as well. Then Frank and I saw Linux as the best option to keep software costs down at the new clinic. I go to work there is Linux and I come home to Linux. The only time I even see Windows is a PC on display at the mall and all I can think of is, "I wonder how much better it would run with Linux?". Even if Microsoft matured and admitted to their past indiscretions, I would have to stay with Linux because 99.9% of the hackers target Windows OS. They do this through the browsers alone and don't need you to do anything but visit a webpage.

Recently a dear friend of mine who still runs XP told me he lost some files. He said, he tried to recover from something he picked up off the internet and ended up having to reformat and install his OS. I don't miss those days, do you?

Comment

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/14/windows_10_privacy_controversy_sysadmin_blog/

The Windows 10 technical preview goes so far as to monitor your typing, potentially crossing the line from instrumentation of alpha-level software into creepy corporate surveillance.
              When you download the preview it is pretty upfront about the fact that it will monitor everything it can find to monitor.
              'Nuff said...

BTW, is "duel" (an arranged engagement in combat between two individuals) intentional in the poll or did you mean "dual" (consisting of two parts)? Just wondering. Either would be technically correct in my view
              Last edited by oshunluvr; Jul 29, 2015, 09:58 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

I greatly dislike Windows, it doesn't feel 'comfortable' or natural to me. XP wasn't so bad, for me, though, but maintenance was a PITA: Perfect Disk for de-frags, keeping up on anti-virus control and definitions, running CCleaner almost every day, checking the PreFetch file, tweaking the register when nothing else would work, a whole list I had of regular To-Do's.

I could convert the wife's laptop to Kubuntu/Mint, just haven't messed with it. Fact is, (1) it looks like they have made Windows 10 as "common sense" and approachable as possible, dummied-down to the max. ( So, then, the challenge for people who like to play would be, How to makes things difficult in Windows 10.) (2) It also looks like the issue of anti-virus/malware has been placed in a not-very-pestering, cruise-control, convenient mode (e.g., the modified, stand-alone Defender program). (3) It also appears they are not trying to rock any boat -- to make the transition to 10, the introduction, as smooth and uneventful as possible, to maximize the acceptance.

Additionally, it is interesting learning and keeping up with new technology w/Microsoft, just for the helluva-it, as I learned a lot of state-of-the-art (in MS OSs) from 8.1, but I wouldn't pay fresh cash to do it!
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  BTW, is "duel" (an arranged engagement in combat between two individuals) intentional in the poll or did you mean "dual" (consisting of two parts)? Just wondering. Either would be technically correct in my view
                  Sorry, it was a typo. I meant dual not duel

Comment

I thought this was a trick question...like, huh...WTF?

Anyway, no, a resounding no, I only use Linux, and will continue to do so.
                    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Uhh,,,,,,,no

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I am. It's even worse: I'm also using Windows 7 and 8.
                        Seriously: I have to buy a new machine for testing sites. But my main system will absolutely stay Linux. Almost every week I get high blood pressure because of working with Windows. I'll never go back.

Comment

Wow. Installing an autostarting executable to put that upgrade icon in your tray.

And you have to uninstall a windows update to get rid of it. And probably have to later hide that update or it will get re-installed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how-...fication-tray/

Comment

I won't. My wife has Windows 7 on her PC doesn't want to upgrade. She made that decision after seeing me help her brother with his new Windows 8 computer.
                            sigpic

Comment

Understandable. Not a Windows guy here, as you guys know. But I hear tell that while 8/8.1 was a real messy failed drastic change, 10 should be more like 7 and smoother, more familiar.
                              Not so scary after all?
                              http://gizmodo.com/the-windows-7-upg...ter-1720777692

Problem is, if you are into the Windows thing, will you be left behind if MS is successful converting your computing devices, shoes, and refrigerator to 10+?

If it were me (and it is me, having to do this for my wife), I'd definitely follow the reports and wait until the right time, giving it at least a month or so to see how it smooths out as it rolls out.

Comment

Working...
                              X