Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the corporate world we are quite a way from being able to leave Windows.

Privately I have only one use for Windows and that's the monthly updates to my Tomtom navigator, the thing runs Linux but they refuse to publish a Linux client for updates

I've just ordered an SSD and plan to reinstall Win7, Kubuntu 14.04 and 15.04.
    Win10 will need some months of maturing before I'll hit that little Upgrade button.

And I need to see for myself how much of Win8 has been left in it.

Comment

I currently dual boot 7 and kub. I am not sold on 10's *cough* trusted computing *cough*
      Only keep 7 around for games. Thankfully more and more games are getting native under linux and I don't have to wine
      Then if AMD would deliver some comperable drivers... so I could actually multi-screen game with crossfire

10 is definately a no for home. Won't have a choice at work but that is werk.
      Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

I definitely won't be installing Win10 (not for myself, anyway).

Every time I work on a Windows PC it just annoys me how much of the machine's resources are sucked up by all the AV/Malware, etc thrashing the hard drive constantly scanning for bad stuff (real or supposed).

Kubuntu rocks!
        Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
        Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

As others mention, Windoze is for **slow** clients who are afraid to move.
          I may have to test my software on other OS's, but I don't have to like it.
          For my system, not a chance, even it it freezes over and I'm offered large amounts of cash.
          Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.10.2, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Windows 10, biggest collection of spyware in one download
            Attached Files

Comment

Two days ago, when I sat down to watch TV and during the ad break I saw this.

Another fine piece of BS from Microsoft's marketing department!

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                With the release of Windows 10 immanent will you be installing it?
                Put it on the laptops. Won't touch my win7 or linux desktops. Use windows for hosting some virtual machines and games

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                  As others mention, Windoze is for **slow** clients who are afraid to move.
                  I may have to test my software on other OS's, but I don't have to like it.
                  For my system, not a chance, even it it freezes over and I'm offered large amounts of cash.
                  use the large amounts of cash to buy a really nice computer to put linux on....

Comment

An open letter from the CEO of Mozilla about Windows 10 and user choices

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2015/0...e-and-control/

Comment

Criminals are targeting Windows users waiting to download Windows 10.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07...ad_ransomware/

Comment

Well, if you did or will install Windows 10, the long-awaited major November update, a re-basing, is on its way ...

http://www.howtogeek.com/232176/what...Speed=noscript

Wait 2-3 weeks, and it's a good time to upgrade to 10 (if you plan to, that is).
                        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I gave my gaming laptop to my, at the time, 11year old grandson. It was set up to dual boot with Win7, but booted into Kubuntu immediately. Two years later I get a call. He had played all the steam games and wanted to play an online game (SWOR) but couldn't get it to run. When I checked I found out that it was a Windows only game. I set up POL for him and got it going. A few days later he wanted to try it on Win, so I set the boot to go into Win. A few days later he called and wanted it set back to Linux. The continual updates, the delayed shutdowns, the slowing down, etc, got to him.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The continual updates, the delayed shutdowns, the slowing down, etc, got to him.
                            Personally, I'm with you on this 100%, which is why I finally let XP go -- way too much attention and maintenance.
                            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

When I had the unpleasant task of administering some window$ boxes at work, I was in a continual state of exasperation when dealing with them. EVERYTHING was slow, painful, time-consuming, counter-intuitive, and just plain unpleasant. Ugh.
                              Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Here is another reason why I won't be installing Windows 10.

Microsoft takes the gloves off, pushes Windows 10 upgrades even harder

Windows 7 will be my last Windows OS.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X