This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need expert opinon

I have in my hands an Acer Aspire 3690 in MINT condition. It's got a spare 30GB drive in it. In your expert opinion, what would be the best distro to put on it?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Lubuntu - very light but still having enough features over a bare Lxde desktop. If it only has 512mb ram, Lxde or something with Icewm or similar will run like a champ, until you try and open a browser that is.

vectorlinux comes to mind as well.

Comment

Thanks, Claydoh, Lubuntu seems like just the ticket for a box with 512MB of RAM, an 80GB HD (C: & D and a 1.60 GHz Celeron M CPU.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

You may want to take a look at Antix 15 or MX-14.4 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Thanks, Claydoh, Lubuntu seems like just the ticket for a box with 512MB of RAM, an 80GB HD (C: & D and a 1.60 GHz Celeron M CPU.
          If you have the money, put an ssd and another 512 ram in it. Should be a great machine then

Comment

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post
            If you have the money, put an ssd and another 512 ram in it. Should be a great machine then
            That's an excellent idea but it's not my machine. It contains a PLC app on which my friend and former client (I retired 7 years ago) uses to upload the firmware that I wrote for him. He wanted a change in the firmware and left me the machine to write it since I didn't have a WinX partition. After he left I install Play On Linux on my laptop and then downloaded that PLC app (!QUAN from Parker) and installed it under WINE. It runs beautifully so I don't need his 10 year old Acer. (His Acer is in mint condition because he only drove it on Sundays and to the grocery store! ) With only a Celeron M and 512MB of RAM WinXP runs like a slug on it. I was going to put Linux on it but after some tests changed my mind. If I damaged or destroyed his WinXP partition he'd have nothing to use to upload the firmware to the tractor he designed and built (He's an ag engineer).
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 31, 2015, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X