X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma Mobile

http://plasma-phone.org/

Don't have a Nexus 5 to play with it.

Cool! Thanks for linking the Nexus 5 seems to be a decent development device, many ported operating systems target it first.

I thought development on this had stalled about a year ago, I remember Steve trying it out on a tablet. Glad it's still moving forward, there's quite a lot of cross-over here with Jolla's Sailfish OS since both are built on Qt. Development of one should help the other, since it'll bring more mobile-focused developments to Qt.

I'd love to eventually have some true convergence of desktop and mobile, e.g. you can plug your phone into a dock with monitor and have it become a "real" computer running full versions of Libreoffice etc.
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

It is build to be potentially running many Qt/GTK/X11-based applications, for example:

Plasma apps, Ubuntu Touch (.click) apps, Gnome apps (e.g.GnomeChess), X11 (e.g.xmame) and possibly other Qt-based apps like Sailfish OS or Nemo. Packages can be installed by “apt-get install packagename”.
      Is it based on Ubuntu touch or it is Plasma on top of Android (kind of similar to KDE on Windows)? Is it possible to install desktop applications that are in Ubuntu repositories (for example goldendict - it is QT app)?

Will this be ever available as a operating system that I can install on phone replacing Android completely?

After recent news about stagefright exploit on Android I wish I could have on my phone Ubuntu based operating system with rolling release model of updates.

Comment

Lots of links here: http://wire.kubuntu.org/?p=365

The discussion about how it is built and what it is based on is way over my head.

Comment

Originally posted by gnomek View Post
          Will this be ever available as a operating system that I can install on phone replacing Android completely?

After recent news about stagefright exploit on Android I wish I could have on my phone Ubuntu based operating system with rolling release model of updates.
          Have you considered Jolla's Sailfish OS? Seems like the closest thing to what you're after that you can actually buy and use now.
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X