Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny, as here, I find French wines to be considerably cheaper than American wines of the same caliber.

If I were in someplace like, say Amsterdam, I would take a holiday to the Midi-Pyrénées region of France around the last weekend in August and attend the Fronton Wine Festival. 100's of wines to taste for a mere 5€ and open grills of sausage. Stock up on the Négrette blends for hearty reds and you must try the wonderful dry rosés, especially of Château La Colombière (Say hello to Diane for me). Stock up!

Please Read Me

Comment

I like the warning on that page you quoted.

According to the Surgeon General women should not drink

That's right, leave the drinking to the men.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        I just glanced through the thread since and I'm late here, my comments might be repetition. As a former wine bar owner and wine snob by most definitions, the only thing that allows red wine to last longer than a day or two (in a drinkable state anyway) is to replace the air in the bottle with a heavier gas. The presence of oxygen "ages" the wine rapidly to the point of killing it within a few days for most varietals.

The four things to avoid when storing wine (in order of importance): Air (oxygen), heat, light, movement (vibration).

There's a product called "Private reserve" which you spray into the bottle, then store the bottle up-right, and the heavier gas sits on top the wine preventing further oxidation. The other real negative component in this state is vibration. The bottle must sit in still place, so on top or even near the fridge is a bad location. Although refrigeration will slow the oxidizing process, vibration speeds it up. Using this combo (gassed and still), I've kept good wines for a week or more in a drinkable state. A dark, cool cabinet is the best place.

Finally, since you're just cooking with it, you might consider buying a box wine. The aseptic packaging and lack of introduction of air allow it to keep for a very long time, months even. Personally, I don't cook with Burgundy unless I'm using the whole bottle (minus a glass for the chef ). The Pinot Noir grape is too delicate in stature and too subtle in aroma to have a large impact on the flavor. I prefer a heavier red and just use less of it.
        Thanks for the great input, oshunluvr.

I like the taste of Burgundy in dishes like Stroganoff and manicotti. I've tried other red wines but wasn't [as] happy with the results.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
          I like the warning on that page you quoted.

According to the Surgeon General women should not drink

That's right, leave the drinking to the men.
          Ha ha!

(It's actually a cut-off sentence. But that's not nearly as funny!)
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
            Ha ha!

(It's actually a cut-off sentence.
            I know it was

Comment

Working...
            X