Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What a REAL geeks desk's looks like. Show off your desktop - the real one!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad you guys appreciate my new 'top. I made it from 2 sheets of 3/4 plywood, I use file cabinets to support the ends and bought two "hairpin" style legs for the center piece - one at each joint.
    It looks like the top surface (on which the monitors sit) is finished, it looks gray-ish from here, shiny. Did you put a finish/laminate on the plywood?
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Its a water-based stain and poly-crylic. I used old file cabinets from my previous desk, re-painted them a dark grey, then used the blue-ish stain on the top. The still-exposed front edge you can see - a wrist rest - is yet incomplete. I originally planned beveled wood there but I have decided to upholster it with dense foam and faux leather. Then I'll have a nice padded area for my wrists and elbows.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        Its a water-based stain and poly-crylic. I used old file cabinets from my previous desk, re-painted them a dark grey, then used the blue-ish stain on the top. The still-exposed front edge you can see - a wrist rest - is yet incomplete. I originally planned beveled wood there but I have decided to upholster it with dense foam and faux leather. Then I'll have a nice padded area for my wrists and elbows.
        Nice. If you are ever in need of extra funds you should advertise in your area 'Custom Desks Built to your Needs'... ;-)
        ...Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
        the Ugly).

Comment

Nice job. The front edge (to the left and to the right) looks thicker than 3/4 -- you doubled-up the 3/4 plywood?
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Actually, I put a doubled 2" edge on it, but underneath it's mostly single layer. Makes it look beefy without all the added weight. I did double layer it with over-lap where the three main pieces connect at the corner for strength.

Nice. If you are ever in need of extra funds you should advertise in your area 'Custom Desks Built to your Needs'... ;-)
            Nice thought, but I doubt I'd get enough cash to cover the workload!

Please Read Me

Comment

Nice thought, but I doubt I'd get enough cash to cover the workload!
              Making money as a custom woodworker ... I've done it. IMO, the keys are (1) tool up (including jigs) to reduce labor-intensity of common operations; (2) target the right customers (i.e., those who can afford your work and those who like the "custom attention"); and (3) don't be shy asking for what you feel you are worth, project-priced or hourly but always based on income targets ($25/hr, $35/hr, $50/hr, more? -- and you must get paid for design time, somehow you must "bake" it in; ditto for hand-holding time): Simply ask for the money and most people WILL give it to you, strangely. Most woodworkers are not business people. It's hard work, though. But, talk about off-topic! we could go way off on this ...

Comment

Actually, I put a doubled 2" edge on it, but underneath it's mostly single layer. Makes it look beefy without all the added weight. I did double layer it with over-lap where the three main pieces connect at the corner for strength.
                Looks nice and should be plenty strong enough.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0125[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	643007
                  You're used to seeing mice on a desk. How about a mouse catcher?

Comment

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]6256[/ATTACH]
                    You're used to seeing mice on a desk. How about a mouse catcher?
                    or ,,,,an automatic dusting unit ......

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                    X