Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What a REAL geeks desk's looks like. Show off your desktop - the real one!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a REAL geeks desk's looks like. Show off your desktop - the real one!

I just installed another monitor so I thought those of you that are "desktop real estate" challenged would like to see this monster setup. I put Windows up on all of them just for giggles.

In case you're interested, here's the setup:
    Screens: The center screen is a 24" Dell with four inputs (2x hdmi and 2x display port) and the 24" screens to either side are cheap Samsung's with 1 DVI and 1 VGA ports.
    Computers: The laptop on the left is a hi-end Dell performance workstation. It has a 17+" HD monitor and is also hooked to the 24" next to it. It's a simulation machine that I run air traffic simulations on and postgresql server for the simulations. I edit on the laptop screen and run sims on the 24" screen.
    On the right, you can see a closed laptop (a Dell cheapie) that I do my company correspondence on. It's internal monitor sucks so it's hooked to the right and the center 24" screens.
    My Kubuntu machine is hooked to the center and right screen at the moment, but when my Display Port cable arrives, it will rock all three 24 inchers.
    My server isn't hooked to any of them but I access it from the Kubuntu machine using ssh.

Once I get that final cable, I'll post a 3-wide screenie of a cool desktop or maybe a 0 A.D. session for kicks.

The cost of all this? Not much as the 2 Samsung's were a gift from a former boss and the Dell is part of the simulation setup from the FAA (I have to give it back with the laptop when my contract ends). I re-purposed the Dell to the middle screen because it has four inputs, thus is the most flexible. The only thing I don't like about the Dell is you have to navigate through a menu to change inputs - which is tedious. The Samsung's just have a single input toggle button - easy.

Here's the thing that makes all this manageable: You'll notice only a single mouse and keyboard. A couple years ago I found a sweet cross-platform program called Synergy that connects them all to a single mouse/keyboard. I paid the $5 registration (voluntary) and it's the best five bucks I've ever spent. The Kubuntu machine is the host and the laptops are clients. I just move the mouse to the left or right and the keyboard "follows" it. I can copy-n-paste across the board too.

Show your desktop!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Jul 09, 2015, 10:30 AM.

Please Read Me

Impressive, but for a real geek -- the room and the desk are WAY too neat and uncluttered!
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Ahh, but you can't see the table to the far right or the pile of spaghetti-like wiring under it!

I'm actually mid-project building a new desktop with three work stations and room for all the accessories (scanner, printer, etc.).

Once it's complete I'll post a pic of it too. Right now, we're getting ready to move at the end of the month so everything is on hold.

Please Read Me

Comment

but you can't see the table to the far right or the pile of spaghetti-like wiring under it!
        Much better than! Throw some papers, calculators, files, rocks, miscellany & junk around the place just for an added touch.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Very tidy.

All your screens are about the same size.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150709_204106.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	642937
          I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post

Once it's complete I'll post a pic of it too. Right now, we're getting ready to move at the end of the month so everything is on hold.
            What ,,,,agin ,,, you just got to New Bern ?

awesome setup ,,,,,when I am in full tech mode I have 2 computers 1 desktop displaying on a 24" flat screen monitor and the 38"VIZIO-TV and the bonox8 on it's display (17"back lit HD) and the 38"VIZIO switching between the 2 computers on the TV is just by pressing menu on the tv remote and selecting HDMI-1 (the desktop) or HDMI-side (the bonox8) ,,,,,but I need both of the mice and keyboards .

so this Synergy would alow me to work the desktop with the Bonox8's keyboard and mouse ,,,,,,Hummm ,,,I remember the discussions about this some time ago ,,,their were 2 or 3 of these programs being tryed I think ,,,,,,,and @Snowhog is/was using one of them as well ,,,,,,,,,,,,,ya thats it I should look into this.

O I'll try to get a pick of my ,,,,,play area soon and post it

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
              Very tidy.

All your screens are about the same size.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6163[/ATTACH]
              ,,,now their's some geek S41T ,,,,,,,

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                What ,,,,agin ,,, you just got to New Bern ?
                Yeah - we're not leaving town. The people that own the house we live in have decided to move back so we have to find a new place.

Please Read Me

Comment

Yeah - we're not leaving town. The people that own the house we live in have decided to move back so we have to find a new place.
                  that sucks ,,,,,,I was thinking you bought .

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                    ,,,now their's some geek S41T ,,,,,,,

VINNY
                    Ya, but where are the empty cans of Dr. Pepper?
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

A couple years ago I found a sweet cross-platform program called Synergy that connects them all to a single mouse/keyboard.
                      That looks super cool. Of course, with a shared copy/pasta buffer, it rather the softens the security boundaries between your machines.

Comment

Frank disposed of his oil cooled PC or I would have posted that as the uber geek machine. He got rid of it mainly because he kept getting hungry for fried foods. LoL Actually the novelty just worn off.

Comment

@oshunluvr You class ya'sen a geek? A proper geek would spend time compiling. This comment from you proves proof that your not a geek https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post374540

If you were a true geek you'd be using Gentoo or Funtoo linux instead of Kubuntu.

Comment

A couple years ago I found a sweet cross-platform program called Synergy that connects them all to a single mouse/keyboard. I paid the $5 registration (voluntary) and it's the best five bucks I've ever spent. The Kubuntu machine is the host and the laptops are clients. I just move the mouse to the left or right and the keyboard "follows" it. I can copy-n-paste across the board too.
                            Yup, Synergy 'is da bomb!'. I too, have been using if for a few years now, and support the project with contributions. Every once in a while you come across a gem of a program, and Synergy is such a gem. I highly recommend it.
                            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

@Steve: True, but home network behind a firewall, so... EDIT: BTW, it has SSL encryption available with a unique certificate, but I don't use it here.
                              @Simon: Water cooled Kubuntu machine. I looked into Oil but too much of a PITA.
                              @Nick: I said geek not masochist! OK, so I'm only a part-time geek.
                              Last edited by oshunluvr; Jul 10, 2015, 07:44 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X