This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debian 'jessie' 8.1.0 with non-free firmware included

I had downloaded and dd'd the Debian 'jessie' KDE iso to a USB stick to try out. My laptop is connected wirelessly only, and that .iso doesn't contain any non-free firmware, and my wireless requires such. So, for me, it was going to be a no-go. But, turns out, Debian does provide a 'jessie' release that includes non-free firmware. It works for me! In 'live mode' from the USB stick, it recognized my wireless. I setup our home network and voila; connected to the Internet! I'm going to install it as my secondary OS. I obtained the .iso I needed here:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/un...64/iso-hybrid/
    Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 08, 2015, 06:40 PM.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
    I had downloaded and dd'd the Debian 'jessie' KDE iso to a USB stick to try out. My laptop is connected wirelessly only, and that .iso doesn't contain any non-free firmware, and my wireless requires such. So, for me, it was going to be a no-go. But, turns out, Debian does provide a 'jessie' release that includesnon-free firmware. It works for me! In 'live mode' from the USB stick, it recognized my wireless. I setup our home network and voila; connected to the Internet! I'm going to install it as my secondary OS. I obtained the .iso I needed here:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/un...64/iso-hybrid/
    Humm I should have looked harder ,,,,,,,,for the cdimage you found .

but to be honest it was not that hard to add it later (the firmware) ,,,, the firmware-iwlwifi package has no depends so ,,,,,,, if you Dl it do the install then add it with apper you would be good ....... after a "modprobe -r iwlwifi ; modprobe iwlwifi" so the current and not working iwlwifi module will get removed then re-added ,thus picking up the new firmware.

FYI my Debian-8-KDE is still working great after a month of playing with it .

the only thing I havent been able to find so far(that I use) is a live-USB making program so it's "dd" for now .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
    X