• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of books ...

I'm half way through reading "The Unincorporated Man"
    Excellent scifi book!
    Last edited by Snowhog; Jun 24, 2015, 09:44 AM. Reason: Added hyperlink
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

The series of books I enjoy reading are the Jack Reacher books.
    Oh! I've just found out that there's a new one due out in September.

Comment

I have just finished " Just Six Numbers, (The deep forces that shape the Universe) " by astrophysicist Martin Rees.
      Absolutely fascinating !
      That came straight after reading "Deer Hunting with Jesus" by Joe Bageant (RIP), a real eye opener for me.
      Last edited by Snowhog; Jun 25, 2015, 09:32 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

Tom Cruise starred in a movie adaptation of a Lee Child Jack Reacher book.
        I'm going to check the library for "Just Six Numbers"
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Tom Cruise starred in a movie adaptation of a Lee Child Jack Reacher book.
          I'm going to check the library for "Just Six Numbers"
          A lot of the fans of the Reacher series hated that film (movie) and hated Tom Cruise as the lead role. I have never watched the film, I'll stick to the books - much better!

Comment

I saw the movie, on video, and Cruise captured some of the Reacher mystique, but missed most of it, and not just the physique. IMO "One Shot" is a poor choice for an introduction to Reacher; better one with the hitchhiker drawn into a troubled nowhere town with a corrupt cop, and very bad guys under the blandness.
            I wonder in what story or saga the myth of the loner hero with nearly invincible fighting skills, who disappears into the sunset at the end, originated? It has such a hold in western culture.

Regards, John Little
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Just finished "The Unincorporated Man". It is a book written by two brothers, their first scifi book. Excellent writing, character development, plot, and story line. One of the best scifi books I have ever read.

Comment

Working...
              X